Yellow 5 (Tartrazine) in AS splash

I've been particularly interested in the comments in recent threads about Yellow 5 (and other dyes) in AS splashes, and learned a lot from the forum and some of my own online research - so much in fact that I have reviewed all of my aftershaves and tried to identify those with the Yellow 5 dye in them. As a diabetic, thyroid issues are always a concern and I understand that there is a potential link between Yellow 5/Tartrazine and thyroid problems, so I've isolated all AS that include Y5 in their ingredients list. As a general rule of thumb, I've arrived at the conclusion that clear (non-coloured) AS is 'safest', but I'm still not sure about some and I'd be grateful for any further advice...Old Spice (original) and Tabac Original, for example...I couldn't find any dyes in those...is this correct?
Any other splashes that people would recommend?
(I realise that the perfumes themselves also carry potential health issues, but i'm just focusing on Yellow 5 atm):rolleyes:

I've been particularly interested in the comments in recent threads about Yellow 5 (and other dyes) in AS splashes, and learned a lot from the forum and some of my own online research - so much in fact that I have reviewed all of my aftershaves and tried to identify those with the Yellow 5 dye in them. As a diabetic, thyroid issues are always a concern and I understand that there is a potential link between Yellow 5/Tartrazine and thyroid problems, so I've isolated all AS that include Y5 in their ingredients list. As a general rule of thumb, I've arrived at the conclusion that clear (non-coloured) AS is 'safest', but I'm still not sure about some and I'd be grateful for any further advice...Old Spice (original) and Tabac Original, for example...I couldn't find any dyes in those...is this correct?
Any other splashes that people would recommend?
(I realise that the perfumes themselves also carry potential health issues, but i'm just focusing on Yellow 5 atm):rolleyes:
As far as I'm aware GB, and what I was able to find out when I was looking at the yellow5 issue, is that Old Spice does contain yellow5(even though the liquid is clear). Not sure about Tabac or anything else. I was using Old Spice so checked up on it.
I found a 'recipe' for an aftershave which is natural and if you don't fancy it once you've made it, you can always drink it...:D
250ml orange flower water
25ml vodka
6 drops Sandalwood or other essential oil.
This is pretty much how it would've been back in the day.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware GB, and what I was able to find out when I was looking at the yellow5 issue, is that Old Spice does contain yellow5(even though the liquid is clear). Not sure about Tabac or anything else. I was using Old Spice so checked up on it.
I found a 'recipe' for an aftershave which is natural and if you don't fancy it once you've made it, you can always drink it...:D
250ml orange flower water
25ml vodka
6 drops Sandalwood or other essential oil.
This is pretty much how it would've been back in the day.

Sounds very interesting...especially the drinking part;)

On Old Spice, I have found a couple of places where ingredients are listed:

https://oldspice.com/en/content/classic-after-shave

http://www.boots.com/en/Old-Spice-Original-After-Shave-150ml_1323/

None of these mention Yellow 5 or it's CI number. I wonder if the recipe has changed?

Yellow 5, CI 19140 or tartrazine isn't listed in the ingredients of Old Spice Original, as sold by Boots, and it also doesn't figure in the lists of Tabac aftershave ingredients that I've found.

Looking through various lotions and potions that I have to hand, it predominates in those which have any sort of green or greenish colour, or, obviously, yellow. Immediate examples are green Myrsol Formula C (Spanish), yellow Pashana (UK), greenish Florida Water cologne (USA), and most yellow/green Pinaud things (USA), and the yellow Floids.

Clear a/s like the Fine range (no artificial colours etc.), Lea, Pitralon, OSP splash and several others like Trumper's Skye have no colourings listed, and of course the other standby is witch hazel; either the 100% plain or scented Thayers, or Humphreys, the one of which I have is a witch hazel and alcohol mix.

Except for Tabac, which carries no ingredients on the white containers (can't remember if it's on the cardboard box), all the ones I've looked at are pretty thorough in their ingredient listings.

Speaking personally, my main aversion is to things containing parabens, which are mainly balms, soaps and creams, but fortunately, those seem to be getting fewer.

Sounds very interesting...especially the drinking part;)

On Old Spice, I have found a couple of places where ingredients are listed:

https://oldspice.com/en/content/classic-after-shave

http://www.boots.com/en/Old-Spice-Original-After-Shave-150ml_1323/

None of these mention Yellow 5 or it's CI number. I wonder if the recipe has changed?
If I knew how to download the f¥₩*/#g link you'd be able to see the ingredients in Old Spice as listed in the USA.
Seems recent & yellow5 is in there. Also, on your top link they give lists of chemicals that make up the fragrances which makes for pretty grim reading...:(

Yellow 5, CI 19140 or tartrazine isn't listed in the ingredients of Old Spice Original, as sold by Boots, and it also doesn't figure in the lists of Tabac aftershave ingredients that I've found.

Looking through various lotions and potions that I have to hand, it predominates in those which have any sort of green or greenish colour, or, obviously, yellow. Immediate examples are green Myrsol Formula C (Spanish), yellow Pashana (UK), greenish Florida Water cologne (USA), and most yellow/green Pinaud things (USA), and the yellow Floids.

Clear a/s like the Fine range (no artificial colours etc.), Lea, Pitralon, OSP splash and several others like Trumper's Skye have no colourings listed, and of course the other standby is witch hazel; either the 100% plain or scented Thayers, or Humphreys, the one of which I have is a witch hazel and alcohol mix.

Except for Tabac, which carries no ingredients on the white containers (can't remember if it's on the cardboard box), all the ones I've looked at are pretty thorough in their ingredient listings.

Speaking personally, my main aversion is to things containing parabens, which are mainly balms, soaps and creams, but fortunately, those seem to be getting fewer.
Yup, Ferrum, I arrived at the same conclusions about all the aftershaves you mention barring a couple I've never had. Good to get that confirmation!;)

If I knew how to download the f¥₩*/#g link you'd be able to see the ingredients in Old Spice as listed in the USA.
Seems recent & yellow5 is in there. Also, on your top link they give lists of chemicals that make up the fragrances which makes for pretty grim reading...:(
Can you copy the link and paste it into a post? When it appears on the forum it will go live. I really appreciate the responses from ya'll;):)

Well chaps I have a bottle of Jovan Musk...and the ingredients scares me to be honest...it has Yellow 5, 6, and all the rest of them haha But apparently Elvis wore it back in the day uh huh huh!:cool:

I actually had a crack at making my own Aftershave and it worked pretty well.. it was just Witch hazel, Glycerin, Aloe vera gel and a couple of essential oils (Eucalyptus, peppermint and Camphor) didn't mix perfectly but added a bit of water and it was fine..

Well chaps I have a bottle of Jovan Musk...and the ingredients scares me to be honest...it has Yellow 5, 6, and all the rest of them haha But apparently Elvis wore it back in the day uh huh huh!:cool:

I actually had a crack at making my own Aftershave and it worked pretty well.. it was just Witch hazel, Glycerin, Aloe vera gel and a couple of essential oils (Eucalyptus, peppermint and Camphor) didn't mix perfectly but added a bit of water and it was fine..
Chris, the idea of making my own aftershave is growing on me. Elvis may have worn Jovan Musk but I don't think it agreed with him...:D
images.jpg

Yup...my Jovan Musk was one of the recent casualties of my aftershave enema...er...I mean that in the sense that I cleared out my aftershaves, of course, not in any really weird pumping Jovan Musk up my ass to clean it sort of way!:oops::eek::oops::eek:

Back
Top Bottom