Yardley shaving soap

I scored one in ebay.The soap arrived today and,even when I didn't shave with it,I made lather a couple times to try it.What can I say?I only have seen the same kind of lather with the Gibbs shaving soap,the Old Spice and the old La Toja soap.
My question is:when as a customers did we lower our expectations in products and services?And when some of the traditional shaving companies have decided to sell us rubbish with expensive prices?I dont know,but this soap,even when I haven't shaved with it,makes a better creamy lather than any of the actual UK soaps.Its a joke to compare many of the actual Made in UK soaps with this one,even my beloved Edwin Jagger and Mitchells Wool Fat/Kent.
Since when do we accepted lower end soaps with ridiculous expensive prices?(I have a new Floris JF soap and I know what Im saying).
Anyway,this soap truly was a Made in UK pride product.33 Old Bond Street,what a great place used to be!

P1160565.jpg

P1160566.jpg

P1160567.jpg

P1160568.jpg

P1160569.jpg

P1160570.jpg

It is a superb soap to use.

Mine was an unopened gift from the 60s which I first used a year or two ago. Sadly the scent more and more picked up the smell of the wooden bowl that seemed rapidly to deteriorate after I started using it. But it was great lather and gave a very satisfying shave.

joe mcclaine said:
Shouldn't you actually try shaving with it first before saying it is a billion times better than anything in the whole universe ever?

You might put it on your grid and burst into flames.

Youre right about it;I should shave first with it.But I have seen its lather (or the light!) and theres no comparation with the new made in UK soaps (I mean,the ones made today) in creamiest (if that means something) and easiness to build it up.I have the Gibbs shave stick and it makes a similar lather (even when that doesn't really means anything ) and also I can compare it with the Martin de Candre lather too.
Ill find it out tomorrow,when I shave with it.
Hope that youre doing well,Vinny.

Fido said:
It is a superb soap to use.

Mine was an unopened gift from the 60s which I first used a year or two ago. Sadly the scent more and more picked up the smell of the wooden bowl that seemed rapidly to deteriorate after I started using it. But it was great lather and gave a very satisfying shave.
Fido:
I did read your review of it and that was the trigger for me to get one.Thanks!.But as Vinny said,I need to try it first and shave with it.I was really surprise of how easy was to make lather from it and how thick and creamy is that lather:as I wrote before,I only have seen that kind of lather in the old soaps and Martin de Candre.

joe mcclaine said:
Sounds good.

Happy with D R Harris though.
Did you edited your first message?Why?You were right about it,my friend:I need to try it first and shave with it to say than its the better than the actual soaps.
I find some of the Harris soaps really good too,by the way,but their lather its not as creamy as this one or the old vintage soaps.But maybe its just me being a snob! :lol:

Teiste said:
joe mcclaine said:
Sounds good.

Did you edited your first message?Why?You were right about it,my friend:I need to try it first and shave with it to say than its the better than the actual soaps.
I find some of the Harris soaps really good too,by the way,but their lather its not as creamy as this one or the old vintage soaps.But maybe its just me being a snob! :lol:

:D yes, was meant tongue-in-cheek but I could see how it might not have read that way. As is the case with most of my posts.

By all accounts, this IS one of the best soaps ever made.

joe mcclaine said:
Teiste said:
joe mcclaine said:
Sounds good.

:D yes, was meant tongue-in-cheek but I could see how it might not have read that way. As is the case with most of my posts.

By all accounts, this IS one of the best soaps ever made.
Im gonna find it out tomorrow.
By the way,Im still keeping the Gillette Red tip that you sold me.Good Razor! (but not as good as the Merkur!) ;)

I shaved with it today,and as I did suspect,this soap is SUPERB,too sad about the lacking of its scent.Nothing much to add to that.

Teiste said:
I shaved with it today,and as I did suspect,this soap is SUPERB,too sad about the lacking of its scent.Nothing much to add to that.

Nice one.

You know we're all jealous.

Back
Top Bottom