XTG

Well the 3 pass shave is the way to go to get that super close shave. But going XTG is causing me some skin irritation. It is only in certain areas of my face. Under my nose the corners of my mouth and the throat area.

Going XTG is something I never did with a cartridge razor so it something my skin is not used to.

Any advice please

I'd never advise anyone to keep going with any shaving practise or kit which caused irritation. By and large, how important is it to have a BBS everyday anyway. We're only a few hours away from stubble reappearing no matter how good the shave was. If xtg doesn't suit your skin I'd just shine it on Phil.

JohnnyO. o/

Something of interest.
I've learn't so much from Paul,with his common sense approach to DE shaving.
My limited advice to you is as, said above do WTG, + a extra WTG for a month instead of XTG...you'll get there in the end,
I've trained my mind to "Shave the lather from my face, rather than the stubble"..by doing so i now hardly have any soreness or irritation..Regards.

Last edited:
Its all been said already but just shave with the grain and across. If it doesn't suite your skin.
when I get a really close shave then I can get irritation. So these days I stay away from really sharo blades, such as Feather.

We're all on a learning curve Phil, just don't forget that if you find a way past this challenge you're duty bound to share it with the rest of us. That way we're all winners together.

JohnnyO. o/

Yes will do. Being a forum member certainly helps speed up the learning process.

Are you sure it's a true XTG?

After over a year of wet shaving I tried mapping my face and low'n'behold, what I thought was ATG was actually XTG on my neck. And vise-verse, what I thought was XTG was actually ATG.

I spend a long time calling N->S for WTG, E->W for XTG and S->N for ATG. Just that my face and the direction of the hairs wasn't in agreement.

Are you sure it's a true XTG?

After over a year of wet shaving I tried mapping my face and low'n'behold, what I thought was ATG was actually XTG on my neck. And vise-verse, what I thought was XTG was actually ATG.

I spend a long time calling N->S for WTG, E->W for XTG and S->N for ATG. Just that my face and the direction of the hairs wasn't in agreement.

I did make an error in my post. I did mean shaving ATG causes the irritation . But I also understand your point about recognising the direction of growth

I've found
a wetter final pass lather, a really,really light touch & maybe streach the skin just a little as you glide over the trouble spots.

Ultimately, if its causing irritation, leave it.
A second xtg pass in the opposite direction or finish up with a hybrid atg/xtg.

Do those bits WTG on the XTG pass and try again in a month. It's all about reduction not removal remember.

I was not only try to remove everything I was trying to obliterate it. Reduction is a much more useful way of approaching your shave. What I am learning is with a DE razor you do have more control over your shave than with a cartridge.

I am in the Army so I do need to shave every day I'm in work. This means I don't always get the luxury of being able to let my skin recover by not shaving.

After reading the above advice this mornings shave went better already. It may have been better not to shave this morning but I am in work. On the sore area i only did one pass WTG and found it was still close enough to be acceptable and did not aggregate things further.

Back
Top Bottom