Wow! Just Wow!

It will have gone to the US. I've had four Hybrids pass through my den and they all went west over the Atlantic... IIRC they all went for between £275-£400, condition dependant of course.

With that in mind I would say the above is simply the going rate for one in international auction, which changes everything of course, if listed for sale on here you would have to price it around £120 to get a sale I would guess.

There are far less Hybrids than regular flat-bottom British Techs and so they do command "a bit more". I remember when I first came to traditional shaving, the Wilkinson Sword Sticky was "the thing to have" and seemed to command silly prices, but today (as you well know Mike) a real minter can be had for literally nowt.

I've been trying to track down a few vintage Gillettes over the last year, razors I didn't own. A few lesser known NEW's, a Canadian Tech, none of them massively rare in the grand scheme of things but a little more work to find than the standard Techs found here. I've not used a Hybrid Tech, I'm sure it is a great shaver for sure.

Personally. I have found my favourite shavers at this moment in time are probably the ones that are a little under rated in the way of things. Brass top cap, aluminium baseplate. Not strictly a Tech, but the Personna/Star Model 100 is a belter of a shaver, as is the slightly more elusive Personna BBS (but on second thoughts I think it might be all zamak? I can't remember!). Back to Techs, of the many variants I have used the 50's brass top cap, aluminium baseplate and handle is one of my favourite variants. I think it's a little overlooked as it is one of the most common variants. In my experience for this hobby, sometimes the more commonplace affordable goods perform as well as their more elusive higher priced counterparts.

Last edited:
I think there’s a huge difference when i comes to prices.
For me there’s two categories
1. Collector
2. Me a user.
I bought a birth year Slim 1966 and i don’t mind telling you i paid over the odds if i remember correctly it was around £160.
This was sealed never opened & razor never seeing day light,
However the first thing i done when i bought it was opened it & used it.
everyone telling me to keep it closed.
Where a collector would leave it as is i couldn’t get it open quick enough.
The Tech in question i would imagine the buyer will never use it.
For me that doesn’t make sense but it’s not wrong either everyone to their own.
Iv thought about these crazy prices for a long time,
It’s not about affordability for me it’s about whether my head could take my stubbornness to buy something & not use it.
Then again as i said i’m not a collector of anything so i wouldn’t know

Before @TobyC says it, "they're just blade holders" and those of us who take guidance from the cap, the rest of the razor doesn't even come into play, the guard merely being there in case of considerable user error.

I got my Hybrid Tech for maybe £25-£30 about a decade ago, which then was sorta above the average for a Tech but worth it (to me) as I'd not seen them come up often. Mine was already in what I'd say was good/collector condition, but I had it replated anyway in rhodium. As a shaver, it does have that je ne sait quoi above and beyond the regular flat-bottomed Tech ... in the same way as the Ranger Tech seems to be a nicer thing than the regular Rocket/Superspeed, but it's marginal. I paired my Hybrid Tech with a heavier handle - a Weber all-stainless bulldog style handle and the whole thing feels perfect. It's number 1 in my top 10 double edge razors.

Collectors with deep pockets screw up everything.

Before @TobyC says it, "they're just blade holders" and those of us who take guidance from the cap, the rest of the razor doesn't even come into play, the guard merely being there in case of considerable user error.

^^^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^^^

The guard is like seatbelts, they don't do anything until you're careless. They're also the only reason safety razors clog.

We've all done it. I know I have when I bought my Wolfman. I didn't lose on it when I sold it on though and that buyer probably won't either. If you are in the collecting game you generally know what price things command.
Normal shavers like us just want to shave and enjoy it. My Daughter told me she bought a signed Arnold Schwarzenneger Book from Waterstones for £20, 3 months later she sold it for £125. nice little mark up. I hope this buyer goes on to do the same. That said I would never pay that much again, I climbed out of the Rabbit hole.

There was a hideously mis-matched set sold recently for £115. I'm still trying to decide whether anyone got a 'bargain' or not.

There was a hideously mis-matched set sold recently for £115. I'm still trying to decide whether anyone got a 'bargain' or not.

Presumably the winner has a (British) fat handle to make it up.

Back
Top Bottom