Would you guy's say there was new good/which steel under £100???

Si.

Birthday soon and considering a new straight. I noticed some of you guy's noting Kropp keeps edge longer than your others etc so I'm wondering what is out there you guy's know of. Guess I'm trying to avoid paying out on cheap and wishing I'd asked/invested better.
Thanks in advance.

(I have no prob with older model good vintage steel from someone you guy's trust)

In all honesty the edge is only as good as the person who last honed the razor. With regards to degradation I believe user error will impact more largely than the steel itself. If it's your first straight, steel type should be comparatively low on your list compared to shape/weight etc.

Yeah, with you on that but trying to take one of the variables out of it all - like not spending loads on a top end Fiat when a mid priced VW would of been a better choice from all angles lol

Assuming it's your first straight razor, I would avoid vintage for now as it takes a bit of knowledge knowing what is good/not. Unless buying from a known reputable source (few members on TSR). Revisor or Boker is what I would recommend, or if you want something exceptional do a little research on Japanese steel.

Revisor, Ralph Aust, Dovo(Although shave readiness in question from new). The Bokers, I've heard their new blades don't match the standard of the old models. Also our own Drew Dick does a 6/8 for £120 on his site. http://www.thestraightrazor.co.uk/s...de-half-hollow-ground-straight-razor/10290180

Revisor, Aust and Drews I've heard nothing but praise for. Buying off the bay is another option, but can lead to heartache as well as smug self satisfaction when you score a winner. You can pick up a good one for around £30 and get it professionally honed for another £20 or so. Revisor and Aust each do a sub £100 razor and strop as this is the minimum you need to start with. Whichever way you choose to go I hope you enjoy your journey.

That's fantastic, I had been looking at Dovo but the edge has been mentioned a few times so good to hear it from you guy's to. That's the sort of purchase I'm concerned about regretting afterwards. Two mentions for Revisor - I'm going to look in to these as I'd not come across them yet. Any more feedback guy's greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I don't have any Dovo's myself, and when all said and done properly honed they're as good as the others. Its just I've heard quite a few complaints regarding the straight out the box shave readiness. Also, the reason I put Drews offering in there is a hand made razor for that price, backed up with solid reviews is certainly worth thinking about. Plus the artisan maker is here to back his work, not some faceless company.

Reactions: Si.
if i was starting out again i would definately go for revisor they do lovley razors in their rare section for a reasonable price
and their own are very nice too all in your price range . have a browse at you peril

That's fantastic, I had been looking at Dovo but the edge has been mentioned a few times so good to hear it from you guy's to. That's the sort of purchase I'm concerned about regretting afterwards. Two mentions for Revisor - I'm going to look in to these as I'd not come across them yet. Any more feedback guy's greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I have many modern razors in for honing and If you ask me which razor would I advise a newbie straight razor user to get I would say get a Revisor.

DSC_0248_zpssicyrf5s.jpg

I got this for Gold Dollar 208 for 25 Quid Posted form a UK Seller recently & had my first shave with it today..I am not an expert on what would be a good razor for someone buying a first straight but I found this to be very forgiving compared to the Two Carbon Steel Swede Straights that I have..I have never shaved with a Stainless Steel blade Straight before & it sure feels different..It came to me shave ready from the box & is Wickedly Sharp..I like it..:p

Billy

Last edited:
DSC_0248_zpssicyrf5s.jpg

I got this for Gold Dollar 208 for 25 Quid Posted form a UK Seller recently & had my first shave with it today..I am not an expert on what would be a good razor for someone buying a first straight but I found this to be very forgiving compared to the Two Carbon Steel Swede Straights that I have..I have never shaved with a Stainless Steel blade Straight before & it sure feels different..It came to me shave ready from the box & is Wickedly Sharp..I like it..:p

Billy

Sounds like one of Kym's- I got one, very good, but a few minutes on a finishing stone made it even better. These seem to be leagues better than the old 'dollars and worth a go imho. I've had a couple of those and they don't even make the grade as a letter opener.

I bought another one about three moths ago labelled- Gold Monkey- or somesuch, sounds really dodgy! But surprise surprise out of the presentation tin it came in it turned out to be a good razor. Again a few minutes on a finishing stone and it's one of my favourites now.

Don't knock these modern Chinese razors- for the money they can be very good.

Sounds like one of Kym's- I got one, very good, but a few minutes on a finishing stone made it even better. These seem to be leagues better than the old 'dollars and worth a go imho. I've had a couple of those and they don't even make the grade as a letter opener.

I bought another one about three moths ago labelled- Gold Monkey- or somesuch, sounds really dodgy! But surprise surprise out of the presentation tin it came in it turned out to be a good razor. Again a few minutes on a finishing stone and it's one of my favourites now.

Don't knock these modern Chinese razors- for the money they can be very good.
I got this one from Billy..I was just messaging him there & he prefers working on these to the Current Dovo ones..He said he is getting Dovo Razors sent to him by people for work straight out the Box..:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shave-rea...hash=item1a0f282373:m:mCCM4M673JCnzs4wGrUr3SQ

Billy

I got few Kropps and Gotta, I can say they are the best shavers I got. They are very easy to hone, once honed keeps the edge longer than others. Having said that I bought a dovo best quality(cheapest model) from a tobacconist here and it had the factory edge on it and it still shaves fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom