Would You Ever Buy "Brand" Shaving Creams/Gels?

Like this: http://www.wilko.com/shaving/nivea-for-men-shaving-gel-sensitive-200ml/invt/0142163?VBMST=shaving

Would you ever buy anything that is a brand, like Gillette, Nivea or Wilkinson Sword? Brands that are commonly found in stores.

I'm guessing you mean mass-market/multinational producers like the ones you mentioned and others like King of Shaves, L'Oreal, Dove?
If so, I do steer away from those since my move to DE. I suppose some of it is due to a nice feeling of exclusivity in using a lesser known brand. the other aspect is just wanting to experiment with new things. I spent years using the mainstream stuff.

Noxzema used to be commonly found in stores.

I would happily use Noxzema and nothing else, if they started selling it again.

Yes I actually do as they provide much more value for mine money then the expensive brands. As Wilkinson Sword Shaving cream is actually quite good and the Wilkinson Sword Shaving Soap Stick is very good.

Also Nivea shaving cream is quite good and their aftershave balms are good as well. The products that people here avoid are not necasserly brands, but they avoid shaving gel and shaving foam aerosol cans.

Diqiu-Long said:
The products that people here avoid are not necasserly brands, but they avoid shaving gel and shaving foam aerosol cans.

There are plenty of fans of Clinique Aloe M Gel on this forum.

I used to use Gillette and Nivea when I was a complete beginner to shaving, got bought box sets for Christmas so ended up just using those, used to only shave once a week! Now I'm a bit older and experienced I've got into more creams as opposed to aerosol can gels.

Palmolive's shaving is still pretty good at £1.58 from the local Wilko but I think my main cream is Proraso. Its not badly priced - its a bit more than your Gillette's, Dove's and Nivea's but I'm a good believer in you get what you pay for so I don't think I could go back to the high st brands. One 150ml tube of Proraso will last 6 months for me, I shave 3 times a week now, and only need about 2cm squeezed from the tube. So £5.95 or so for a 150ml represents good value for me whereas with an aerosol can or whatever I'd be using too much and it'd just make me end up buying more in shorter periods.

Yeah, why not? I like the usual 'posh stuff' but I pick up items in the supermarket if I want to give them a try.

I've tried the Wilko soap dish. I love the scent - It's very light, refreshing and 'manly'. The soap itself is like a hockey puck in that it looks and feels like rubber and it gives a very weak lather. Allows a nice close shave but not much cushion so it's better with a cartridge blade. I did bin mine because it was taking up space and never got used with my DE.

I also have some Palmolive cream in my drawer (in the metal tube). It's more of a watery, tacky consistency than shave shop creams but it lathers up nicely. It also smells great. Just like Palmolive soaps. Fresh! For me it's perfect in the summer as it feels much lighter than shave shop offerings. Nothing is worse than Trumper's Spanish Leather cream on a hot summer day :/

I've tried tinned blue goo from Gillette, Wiko (Hydro range) and Nivea and they are all the same to me.

On the other hand, Nivea Aftershave Balm is IMO the best you can buy (glass bottle, square lid). I always pick it up when I see it on offer. I've tried many and it's the most refreshing and effective for me. The only other I really like is Trumper's skin food because of the sealing effect.

I tried a Boots own brand Cool Cologne cream for the princely sum of £1.05. The lather was passable but the smell, for me, was awful, almost industrial air freshener - I'd put money on that it's Ingrams repackaged. Still YMMV so for a squid it's worth a punt.

I like Palmolive sticks and Nivea balms. WHen the last Nivea ran out I replaced it with a balm from Marks&Spencer which worked very well.

I also am fond of using Body Shop's Arbor cologne.

+1 for Nivea's aftershave balm though it gets a bit greasy and is too watery for me, BB's Post-shave stings a bit and dries my face out though so won't be buying another tub of that! Haha

INGRAMS

Apart from that, Boot's Shave Bowl is great stuff and I'd be happy to use either of these two for eternity. Palmolive smells like a sweaty tramp mingled with a John Lewis perfume counter.

Back
Top Bottom