Witch Hazel or Bump Patrol?

Guys, i currently use Bump patrol after each shave and i sometimes use either a cartridge or a DE. I sometimes get spots or i 'break out' in a couple of places.

I use TOBS sensitive cream with a badger brush.

Would i be better off using Witch Hazel?

Are the break outs due to ingrown hairs? Try shaving with the grain only in the areas you get the break outs.

As for the witch hazel, go for it, its great stuff. You may want to try alum too for its disinfecting properties.

Im not sure that witchazel will make any difference to razor bumps. You need to examine your technique and pressure to try and avoid bumps in the first place.

By all means try it - as an aftershave its very refreshing anyway and does have soothing properties as well as being an astringent.

My prescription against facial spots and other such malaise due to shaving is simple:

Cut the facial hair in an angle ie use a slanted razor, I really don't know why but for me it's the only way to make sure I never get spots.

Use a well coated sharp blade like the Personna Lab or SuperMax Titanium.

Use soap or cream with a very high lubricity poinnt like the Maca root for example, or use a good pre shave between passes like Noxzema or Proraso.

Use Witch hazel after the shave before applying moisturizer or cologne.
Witch hazel in Savers is 99p btw.

Use Witch

UKRob said:
Im not sure that witchazel will make any difference to razor bumps. You need to examine your technique and pressure to try and avoid bumps in the first place.

By all means try it - as an aftershave its very refreshing anyway and does have soothing properties as well as being an astringent.

Thanks but its not razor bumps i suffer from but the occasional spot.

Shemen Zait said:
My prescription against facial spots and other such malaise due to shaving is simple:

Cut the facial hair in an angle ie use a slanted razor, I really don't know why but for me it's the only way to make sure I never get spots.

Use soap or cream with a very high lubricity poinnt like the Maca root for example, or use a good pre shave between passes like Noxzema or Proraso.

Use Witch

Is that any regular 'Witch Hazel?'

Which Hazel?

When I lost internet connection a couple of months back
I got my witch hazel from a chemist and have tried the Boots stuff
in the past.

The stuff sold in chemists tends to be marketed for its healing properties
so they don't seem to care about the pong. While stuff like Thayers is sold
as a toner so they make it smell nice and add soothing ingredients.

Stuff in chemists is pretty cheap compared to Thayers* but I'd guess its generally
the same stuff.

*iherbs can compete on price but there's the delivery time if your desperate.

Re: RE: Witch Hazel or Bump Patrol?

acer1986 said:
UKRob said:

Thanks but its not razor bumps i suffer from but the occasional spot.

Shemen Zait said:

Use Witch

Is that any regular 'Witch Hazel?'

Yes, the regular stuff with alcohol.

Shemen Zait said:

I believe you are right and I believe the reason is that they are not being pulled out as well, and being cleanly and properly sliced. When I was trialling blades, most tended to tug at some point in the shave, and that's where I would end up with irritation. So far, Astra SP's are the only one for me that hasn't tugged once. I also found that altering the pre-shave regime can make a big difference. My beard doesn't really like being rubbed, especially in the opposite direction to the growth, and consequently applying any pre-shave treatment can irritate, even if it is softening the hair. A good wash with a good soap, and rinsing really well helps immensely. As for the shave, absolutely no pressure and only one pass, with the grain.
When I'm finished, I rinse off well with warm water, then cold, and apply alum. I leave it on to dry, and apply witch hazel (14% alcohol). This is what solved it for me. I didn't get ingrown hairs but bumps were an issue. I never get them now.

Back
Top Bottom