Wish I'd found DE sooner

T0m

Hello,

I'm new to DE shaving.

Never got on with electrics and was pretty happy with cartridge shaving every other day.

Just hunting out cheaper alternatives I stumbled across the DE shaving world through youtube then facebook and now forums :)

Looking for cheaper razors/blades/cartridges was how I found it... although I've already accepted I will be saving no money xD

I'm 3 DE shaves in... without doubt the 3 best shaves I've ever had. I've loved the 'manly', old school, simplicity in the single blade multi-pass whilst pampering with some of the great products that are available and I never even knew existed!

I was very lucky in that one of my friends is a veteran wet shaver and seriously spoiled me with a massive starter pack when he found out that I had ordered a few bits.

I have 2 razors, 3 brushes, a selection of soaps and AS and a selection of blades to try once i nail down my technique. Also eagerly awaiting the postman's delivery of a few other bits to try out.

After watching hours of youtube videos (maybe a little too much) I have been extra been extra careful and always mindful of pressure and angle during shaves. No nicks or irritations yet but I do often miss little patches between passes where I guess I am getting the angle a little wrong.

Really enjoying everything about this new found hobby, apologies for my lengthy hello... the waffle just kind of came out.

Pleased to meet you all :)

Last edited:
the little missed patches, are most likely located at the spots you start and stop the razor while shaving?

I have a hunch that is the case, its a very common thing. one reads about short strokes, but when one stops often, it can be very hard to start the razor again at the very spot you left off. and the advice to avoid going over the same spot without relathering can invariably lead to having little missed patches of stubble.

Reactions: T0m
I have no doubt of your friend's generosity with the starter pack. However, I can imagine he's just as delighted as you are. He's done his mate a good turn, cleared a few things out of the den, and opened up some space for new purchases!

It's not to say that he's passed on "second best". Lots of us cycle through things, enjoy some items for a while and then find other preferred options, and so one man's trash becomes justifiable treasure for another.

Back
Top Bottom