Wireless printers

Nobody has mentioned Google chrome an cloud printing...

I travel a lot and have an HP110a in the study. I print to it at least 2-3 times a week and my wife picks stuff up from it.

We also print from our iPad and iPhones and it just works...

I'd hate to be without it now...

Re: RE: Wireless printers

mattyb240 said:
Dr Rick said:
I was just looking at the HP on offer at tesco - the 3050.

99% of the time at home I'm using an Android device, so the idea appeals. Just couldn't tell from the packaging, if I NEED a windows box (or Mac) at some point - though I guess I have xp in a virtual box if absolutely necessary.

May get one next week. For my very occasional use, consumables prices aren't a factor, so a thirty quid box is ideal.

I just set up one for the mrs's parents, it is great as they mainly use an iPad. However you do need a computer of some variety which is a bit disappointing.

Do I just need it for the initial setup? Or at least only very occasionally?

shanky887614 said:
you dont need a computer for a wireless printer

just a wireless internet connection

You need it to put the settings on to either by USB, or for it detect your wireless setting and you input the password.

shanky887614 said:

Yes you do... none of them set up standalone.

mattyb240 said:
shanky887614 said:

You need it to put the settings on to either by USB, or for it detect your wireless setting and you input the password.

That.

hunnymonster said:
shanky887614 said:

Yes you do... none of them set up standalone.

mattyb240 said:
shanky887614 said:

That.

+1 on that.

I've set one up via usb to wireless in the past, it was a right pain in the backside too. Having to plugged into the router was a right pain as mine is in the living room. A wireless printer really is, at least for me the best solution.

I'm not sure what wireless printers some of the chaps are using. But the HP Photosmart 6510 does not need a PC to be setup because you can scan and type in wifi hotspot password manually using the touch screen. set mine up without a single USB cable being used.

Giraud said:

I travel a lot and have an HP110a in the study. I print to it at least 2-3 times a week and my wife picks stuff up from it.

I did read something in the manual about being google cloud print compatible.

Big.Dave said:
I'm not sure what wireless printers some of the chaps are using. But the HP Photosmart 6510 does not need a PC to be setup because you can scan and type in wifi hotspot password manually using the touch screen. set mine up without a single USB cable being used.

I think what's trying to be said is that most printers, not wireless can be made wireless if attached to a wireless router by plugging in via a USB lead. Something I did before I had a proper wireless printer. I don't know about wireless HP printers but I had to plug my Epson Wireless in on setup via USB to get it working. It now sits I a remote spot just plugged into the mains electric.

Northam Saint said:
Big.Dave said:

I think what's trying to be said is that most printers, not wireless can be made wireless if attached to a wireless router by plugging in via a USB lead. Something I did before I had a proper wireless printer. I don't know about wireless HP printers but I had to plug my Epson Wireless in on setup via USB to get it working. It now sits I a remote spot just plugged into the mains electric.

Ahhh

I like Epson's print quality. Not keen on having to load paper in the back it's a pita when its under my desk prefer front loading.

Big.Dave said:
Northam Saint said:
Big.Dave said:

Ahhh

I like Epson's print quality. Not keen on having to load paper in the back it's a pita when its under my desk prefer front loading.

The downside for me is I dont print much and the printer is always off. Not that good as we live in a three level town house with the printer on the top level ! So it's not that great, but I have an 11 year old odd job son.

Big.Dave said:

Giraud said:

I did read something in the manual about being google cloud print compatible.

thats what i meant.

my hp printer has a screen on it.

scroll to settings then it scans for wifi

input password and it connects to wifi

then you can print using andriod/ iphone apps

Back
Top Bottom