Wireless printers

I have just picked up one of these the other day so the misses can print directly from her Ipad with Airprint.
Having not brought a new printer in over 8 years I was surprised that print quality wise not much has changed.

But what had changed is the printer now has it's own email address and can install apps.

Ok the wifi bit I get, less cables is a good thing. I'm not sure being able use my printer from any where in the world with Eprint from my email account or mobile phone is that useful I suppose I could have my holiday snaps waiting for me when I get home if I was that way inclined. I would still have to leave the printer switched on and connected to the internet to do this.

Apps for a printer at the moment are limited, you could print off your favorite news paper probably cheaper to go out and buy one. the only apps that you may find useful are the children's ones which allow you to print off games and puzzels for the kids.

The printer I'm using is the HP Photosmart 6510

Anyone else use a wifi printer or have found a use for being able to print over the internet?

Scaring the cat while you are out of the house does not count :)

Yes, I bought a wireless printer, there was not much price deference between this and the wired version. I can print out from my iPad, so I guess it's worth it purely for convenience.

I have a wireless Epson Printer, I find it really useful as we don't have a desktop and any device is used in the living room, dining room or son's room. I've found an out of the way spot for the printer so it doesn't clutter up anywhere. Having an Epson is somewhat limitingthough on the IPad, I have the Epson App but it's not much use as it won't print out web pages.

It does seem to be a lot of printers are 3-1 units now. Which I find really handy, and I did notice Tescos the other day had an wireless HP Printer for as little as £36.

I bought the same printer (HP6510) as iPads are our only tech at the mo, since I dropped my MacBook Pro! And less cables is definitely a good reason ;-) I've not tried remote printing yet as I don't leave my printer on most of the time ( and I can't remember the email address!)

But I do love not being tied to printing by the printer. BTW, there's are some brilliant apps for home financing worksheets, as well as colouring in apps for the kids! However, cartridges an be pricey! Shop around.

Shinobi

I can never trust a printer to take just one sheet at a time, so consequently I don't print "remotely"... If I want to do multiple copies, I put in single sheets manually, If I put several sheets in the tray, the damn thing will insist on taking two pages and printing over a sheet and a half...Very annoying.

I do like the idea of no wires though......much tidier on my desk..

Shinobi said:
I bought the same printer (HP6510) as iPads are our only tech at the mo, since I dropped my MacBook Pro! And less cables is definitely a good reason ;-) I've not tried remote printing yet as I don't leave my printer on most of the time ( and I can't remember the email address!)

But I do love not being tied to printing by the printer. BTW, there's are some brilliant apps for home financing worksheets, as well as colouring in apps for the kids! However, cartridges an be pricey! Shop around.

Shinobi

If you can't find the email address for the printer press the eprint icon on the top left corner of the home screen. if you have registered with eprintcenter.com you can change the email address to something easy to remember.

GOLDCREST said:
I can never trust a printer to take just one sheet at a time, so consequently I don't print "remotely"... If I want to do multiple copies, I put in single sheets manually, If I put several sheets in the tray, the damn thing will insist on taking two pages and printing over a sheet and a half...Very annoying.

I do like the idea of no wires though......much tidier on my desk..

I have had this on a few occasions with the printer taking multiple sheets, normally it has been down to SWIMBO buying cheaper paper once I throw it in the bin and buy the one at 10 bob more a pack I am back to carefree printing

i really like it.

means less wires from pc

rarely use the print frome phone though

would be useful if someone emailed you a picture/document and you have email account on phone

as its quicker to print from phone than turn pc/laptop on

if im honest there best for laptops for evertything else there a gimmic

I have a wireless printer but it's pretty rubbish. It says wireless but when I tried it without the wire going from the AC mains input to the plug socket on the wall it didn't work!

Mine is fairly basic. Have to set it up with the router and I took a look at the instructions and thought I would just plug the USB cable in. I imagine printing from my smartphone might be handy once or twice but can't really be bothered. Maybe on my week off work at the end of the month, when the rain is hammering down, I'll give it a try just for the hell of it. Maybe not.

NotTheStig said:
I have a wireless printer but it's pretty rubbish. It says wireless but when I tried it without the wire going from the AC mains input to the plug socket on the wall it didn't work!

Mine is fairly basic. Have to set it up with the router and I took a look at the instructions and thought I would just plug the USB cable in. I imagine printing from my smartphone might be handy once or twice but can't really be bothered. Maybe on my week off work at the end of the month, when the rain is hammering down, I'll give it a try just for the hell of it. Maybe not.

I was going to use the USB on mine because I always wonder if it's going to work or not. But there was no USB cable in the box and I could not be bothered to go looking for one in the man draw. so wifi all the way.

Just printed off a PDF file from work from my android phone downloaded the PDF to the phone then sent it on works fine also just printed some pictures I took off my phone easy. This plays well with the android phone.

I was just looking at the HP on offer at tesco - the 3050.

99% of the time at home I'm using an Android device, so the idea appeals. Just couldn't tell from the packaging, if I NEED a windows box (or Mac) at some point - though I guess I have xp in a virtual box if absolutely necessary.

May get one next week. For my very occasional use, consumables prices aren't a factor, so a thirty quid box is ideal.

i got he hp b110a or whatever it is called cheap last year

wirrless printing is easy

all you do is turn printer on, go to settings

wireless

select wireless network, put in wifi key

then on pc, install software from cd or internet

it will search using wifi to find printer

thats more or less it

im not very good at writing instructions down but its pretty straight forward

Big.Dave said:
If you can't find the email address for the printer press the eprint icon on the top left corner of the home screen. if you have registered with eprintcenter.com you can change the email address to something easy to remember.

thanks! I had set it up with an alternative address. I just hadn't used it enough to remember it? Now saved to my contacts list. ;-)

Martin

Dr Rick said:
I was just looking at the HP on offer at tesco - the 3050.

99% of the time at home I'm using an Android device, so the idea appeals. Just couldn't tell from the packaging, if I NEED a windows box (or Mac) at some point - though I guess I have xp in a virtual box if absolutely necessary.

May get one next week. For my very occasional use, consumables prices aren't a factor, so a thirty quid box is ideal.

I just set up one for the mrs's parents, it is great as they mainly use an iPad. However you do need a computer of some variety which is a bit disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom