Wireless bridge kit

Hi all, now sky anytime+ is sorted for none sky internet I need a bridge set up in my front room. Wondering if anyone has any experiance with this?pretty gutted that my old net gear one won't do client mode....

Its the price of cat cable that puts me off really.also not sure where I would route cable to the TV,router is in hall and TV against far wall in front room.must work it out!!!!

It also all the work trying to hide the cable...have to admit I didn't realise it was so cheap (been a while since I brought any!!) My other half doesn't see the point so will only let me do it if she can't see cable. How much do I want carpet!!!

Ah, I'm lucky - I can get into the floor void under the ground floor... that makes it a simple job :)

Didn't stop SWMBO going mental about the idea of me running the cables there ("why can't you just run it around the skirting like everyone else?") when I installed it - although since she's seen what other people have done rather than have me crawl about under the floor she's delighted with her insistence on hiding the cables under the floor.

Other option - powerline adaptors - http://www.solwise.com/ - as with all non-dedicated network infrastructure, work on the basis that you'll get about 20-40% of advertised throughput - so 85Mbps is really 15-30, 200 is really 40-80....

Homeplugs are awesome. I have 3 in use now, 1 for this computer, 1 upstairs for the lads consoles and the host one for the router in the living room.
7dayshop.com have some great deals on multipacks.

Will have to have a look at them.my only slight issue may be my flats electric rings.it has been 2 maybe 3 flats converted into one so there is a chance I have different rings.will have to have a play with the fuse box.

shanky887614 said:
i wonder if anyone has used the houses wiring to pull cat5/5e/6 through

whats the max operating temp for cat5/5e/6?

High enough that you'd be far more concerned at what was causing the high temperature in the first place.

But not a good idea to run UTP cabling parallel to mains cable (certainly not any closer than 150mm for any distance) due to the risk of induced voltages and induced interference from the mains cable.

Well from playing around with the fuse box I'm sure if it would work annoyingly. As it seems that if the hall has power I can kill power to just the front room.... hmm just popped a bid on a dlink router with DD-WRT firmware. should work I hope. might also let me put my old xbox on net as well. Perfect....i hope!

hunnymonster said:
shanky887614 said:
i wonder if anyone has used the houses wiring to pull cat5/5e/6 through

whats the max operating temp for cat5/5e/6?

High enough that you'd be far more concerned at what was causing the high temperature in the first place.

But not a good idea to run UTP cabling parallel to mains cable (certainly not any closer than 150mm for any distance) due to the risk of induced voltages and induced interference from the mains cable.

your right.

too bad that you get the emf from the copper.

i think like has been said best way is under floor or embedded in walls

Back
Top Bottom