Wireless / Bluetooth speakers

I'm a big fan of streaming music from my phone/tablet, and have been using a speaker costing £20 from Amazon for the last 5 years. Time for an upgrade.

Years ago when looking at speakers, Bose was always the brand to go for. Seems there are new kids on the block - such as Sonos and Bowers & Wilkins.

Wondering if any of the good folk of TSR use wireless speakers? I'm budgeting up to £400.

Cheers :)

I guess I depends on whether you just want a speaker or a smart speaker, one or a small set paired. Also depends on where you are going to have it, does it need to be portable or fixed? You’ve plenty of options at that price, a couple of Sonos one, Bose 500, a couple of Amazon studios or old apple HomePods paired. Or bigger speakers decks?

As mentioned a lot of options, Bose Soundlink and others, Amazon Echo and the Dots, Apple HomePod Mini. And some of the Cambridge Audio offerings are nice.

WhatHiFi have review on most offerings and I’m sure others here can give a more informed technical view.

I guess I depends on whether you just want a speaker or a smart speaker, one or a small set paired. Also depends on where you are going to have it, does it need to be portable or fixed? You’ve plenty of options at that price, a couple of Sonos one, Bose 500, a couple of Amazon studios or old apple HomePods paired. Or bigger speakers decks?
Thank you. Should have said - portable, non-smart & mainly for moving around the house etc.

I'll check WhatHiFi - many thanks guys

I bought a Sony rechargeable bluetooth speaker a few years back for the same - listening around the house, in the garden, in the shower or bath (as its water resistant). Been really pleased with the detailed clear punchy sound, which is fine for low to medium volume levels i use it for.

The "Extra Bass" function has a dedicated switch which actually works really well when listening at low levels. Mine can be paired with one or more similar Sony speakers, to give a bigger sound, if needed and the newer model has the same functionality - so you can buy two if you want multi room / big garden sound.

This is the latest version

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/wireless-speakers/srs-xb33#product_details_default

I'm a big fan of streaming music from my phone/tablet, and have been using a speaker costing £20 from Amazon for the last 5 years. Time for an upgrade.

Years ago when looking at speakers, Bose was always the brand to go for. Seems there are new kids on the block - such as Sonos and Bowers & Wilkins.

Wondering if any of the good folk of TSR use wireless speakers? I'm budgeting up to £400.

Cheers :)
Bowers and Wilkins are new. So that means my b&w speakers from the 80s are fake. :unsure: :)

You've got a decent budget there, is mains only okay or do you require a battery for portability? Personally I'd be looking at Vifa's offerings. I had a demo of the Naim Mu-So the other week, what a pile of crap those are... I've had better audio from 1990s Sony CRT televisions :ROFLMAO:

We’ve had two Sonos wireless speakers for the past year and love them. The two are: the Roam and the Move. Both operate on mains or a built in rechargeable battery. They operate on our wifi, but also on Bluetooth. Although the aRoam is small it has very good sound, which defies its diminutive size and linking two together you’ll get true stereo sound. The Move is waterproof and designed for use outdoors as well as indoors. The Roam can be used outdoors too. Both can be used as smart speakers as well, but we have not turned this option on.

I am a big fan of Bose generally - The Bose wave guide sound deflectors they have been building into their small / portable speakers for years is very good at producing a large and wide sound, particularly if it has a room wall or corner nearby to bounce the sound off.

I have used a few Bose speakers in the past and in my opinion they are possibly the best for many "real life" situations of listening to music at low to medium volumes in smaller rooms,

Also great for TV and Home Cinema uses because Bose tend to tune their speaker systems to have tightly controlled bass and clear middles, with an inoffensive treble that is a little rolled off to keep it sweet.

Have 3 pairs of Bose headphones gathered over the years and whilst they sometimes get a bit slated as "not hifi enough" by reviewers, i really rate them for listening to music for long periods, because they handle many different styles of music easily without any tweaking needed of the sound balance.

I have been mostly using inexpensive Bluetooth speakers that are no longer on sale, but I'd be looking at the Minirig 3 and Marshall Stockwell II if I were to buy a portable speaker again.

Otherwise, I've been pretty happy with the Wharfedale DS-2 (paired up with Audioengine DS1 Desktop Speaker Stands to get them to point at me at the desk).

Thank you everyone for advice & suggestions. After a spot of research, I'm going with the JBL Charge 5. Seems to receive good reviews and ticks the boxes.

Should have spoken with my brother earlier - when I mentioned it in a text tonight, he said he used JBL in the 80s when DJ'ing & he believes that they are some of the best. Cant beat a know it all big brother :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom