Winter Soap Review...Tabac v DR Harris v AoS

I think you should honour the bowl with a DRH soap Fido. Since I wrote the review I've had "real" sandalwood EO sent to me courtesy of SA and Rev and compared to that Marlborough is a more faithful reproduction...woody and smokey. AoS is far lighter and sweeter. As for price the only place I could find it was at TGS for full price. I like them both very much but AoS by a very short nose for me.

Of course I've gaily ignored all this talk of woody spiciness in concocting latest batch of Citrus shaving soap. :shock: Am toying with the idea of doing 'Warm Spice' as the next one....but am also pulled in the direction of Patchouli. Never realised it was so popular until I made some. It wouldn't be my favourite scent, but it is pretty woody I'ld say, and there's obvioulsy a lot of old hippies out there who like it. And even young ones!
Any thoughts?

soapalchemist said:
It wouldn't be my favourite scent, but it is pretty woody I'ld say, and there's obvioulsy a lot of old hippies out there who like it. And even young ones!
Any thoughts?

The only people I know of that wear patchouli-smelling preparations had other personal hygiene issues related to their bathing at the same frequency as Henry VIII aprocryphally did... "once a year whether I need it or not" :?

[Note to Boab - we need a vomiting smily]

It's your captive market that won't necessarily translate to your shaving soap market, I will also hazard a guess that the majority of your current clientele are female. I would also describe patchouli as mossy and musty rather than woodsy, fella's generally don't wear it and hippies don't shave.

antdad said:
It's your captive market that won't necessarily translate to your shaving soap market, I will also hazard a guess that the majority of your current clientele are female. I would also describe patchouli as mossy and musty rather than woodsy, fella's generally don't wear it and hippies don't shave.

Well, it was a surprise to me that at least half of my clientele are men (for ordinary bar soap). But good point about hippies not shaving! On the other hand, most hippies now are clean shaven grandparents.....a bit like me :oops:

antdad said:

I concur. I made a face and hand moisturizing cream for daily use for my SO (a SWMBO by another name...) with patchouli. Not for me - not in a thousand years...

antdad said:
I think you should honour the bowl with a DRH soap Fido. Since I wrote the review I've had "real" sandalwood EO sent to me courtesy of SA and Rev and compared to that Marlborough is a more faithful reproduction...woody and smokey. AoS is far lighter and sweeter. As for price the only place I could find it was at TGS for full price. I like them both very much but AoS by a very short nose for me.

Well, that's it.

The AOS Sandalwood is on it's way, together with a Marlborough soap refill, Oh, and a T&H Rose Shaving Cream pot to get the order over £50 for free shipping. But then I needed the latter because I am actually about to run out of the tube I have.
I don't think I will need any more creams and soaps looking at the stash now, for quite some years.
But then what's need got to do with it?

This review was posted while I was away, nice put together and an interesting topic. My preferences are similar in that I like a warn spicy scent in winter but sonething lighted on summer.

I have a cake of DRH Marlborogh and obviously Tabac is standard kit. I would have liked the DRH scent to be a bit stronger, I never tried an AOS soap before. Added to the list now.

Back
Top Bottom