Winter Soap Review...Tabac v DR Harris v AoS

TABAC v DRH Marlborough v Art of Shaving Sandalwood

wintesoap.jpg

Now that my tap water is quite cold...those scented soaps and creams more suited to warmer temperatures start to take a back seat so
when the trees start shedding their leaves and you fancy more hearty fare you know it's time to get the woods out full time.
No Boab and Fido, not those types of woods.

These soaps really aren't competing with each other as they are placed throughout the price spectrum but for all you celery huggers they
do all contain delicious tallow. I do have some good non tallow based soaps in my rotation but I'm happy to know that an animal has
been fully exploited for my shaving pleasure*.

Is the AOS twice as good as DRH or thrice Tabac? A difficult question to answer but the short but incomplete answer is no.

All these soaps can produce very fine lather indeed and it's very difficult to tell them apart but the AOS does have an added unctuousness
that leaves my skin feeling so so soft....just like my calf skin loafers*.

The real difference with these soaps lies in the quality of the scent, the soap makers amongst you will know the cost of true sandalwood
essential oil and many soaps claiming to be sandalwood are usually a very poor imitation. Those that use and like Tabac know about its
qualities but for me the powdery floral note to Tabac can be a little off putting but I do find it subsides with use and hydration. I have
a cake and a few sticks/refills, the cake is by far the most floral but M&W say it's the same stuff.
Types of container, age, hydration and environmental conditions seem to make some difference.

The DRH Marlborough is the most intriquing and complex, containing more cedar than sandalwood and possibly a touch of musk, it's subtle
but warm and rich. I understand that AOS is the most faithful of all sandalwood scents and if that is the case then I'm happy to stop
searching, the AOS Sandalwood cream is also worth trying in that respect. I didn't want to like the AOS at all, thinking it was overpriced sillyness,
but after receiving an AOS sample pack I think the AOS sandalwood cream is worth it, probably won't be replacing the soap though.

My overall favorite though is the DRH Marlborough, because it does everything very well indeed, AOS gets downgraded because of cost,
Tabac is the best value soap but gets downgraded because of the scent. Small margins between them but I'm very happy to use
all of them in my rotation. If you like Tabac and want a more traditional masculine woody scent then a refill puck of Marlborough is worth considering. EDIT: If you are happy to spend £20 on a refill then AoS has the best of the scents in my opinion.

EDIT: SA kindly scent me a sample of sandalwood EO, compared to that, Marlborough is the best representation of Sandalwood I have smelled in a soap.

* - this statement could be fictitious but is added for dramatic effect.

With regards the Tabac and Marlborough, I agree entirely. Tabac is great, but the scent had to grow on me. Marlborough was one of my first soaps, and I prefer the scent of that to Tabac.

I can't comment on the AOS, as I've never tried it.

I'm off now, to dig out my cake of Marlborough.

Ian

Fido said:
Leaving cost aside, where does AoS rank among the three purely on merit as you see it?

The AoS based on scent + lather only.

It's a fair question but I couldn't recommend it because it was over twice the price of the DRH.

Another interesting contribution Tony, thank you. You've just sold me on the Marlborough (as if I need any more soap), but having just checked the price of the AoS (20p per gram!), I'm still spluttering.

But I bet you'd pay over £10000 a tonne for potatoes...

Ask most people and they'd splutter into their cornflakes. A 30g bag of crisps costs 34p (at least it does at my local corner shop) - which is (34/30)p per gram, or £(0.34)/(30x0.001x0.001) per tonne which I make to be nearly £11500... mind you a tonne of crisps is a lot of crisps :lol:

I was interested in this thread due to the discussion of Sandalwood. I would be curious to know if the AOS uses real Sandalwood EO. If so, then you you may be comforted to know that there could be in the region of £2 - £3 max. worth of Sandalwood in a 100g bar. That's based on the cost for a litre, best price I can find.

Having said that, a huge company could not doubt get it cheaper than that if buying in more bulk - I buy most oils in 100ml, and my hoarded bottle of Sandalwood is only 10ml.

So, actually, I guess it's not that comforting. Really, real Sandalwood for a large manufacturer should only add a couple of pounds to the cost.

Yanner recently sent me a bar of Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood soap, and it doesn't smell remotely like Sandalwood to me.

soapalchemist said:
Yanner recently sent me a bar of Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood soap, and it doesn't smell remotely like Sandalwood to me.

I agree, the C&E just smelled of cinnamon to me.

The three soaps in this review are superb and the AOS does have a very authentic sandalwood scent. I've heard it is made by Valobra.

I think a nice and non-tallow alternative to these three would be the Trumpers sandalwood. About the same price as the Harris.

Pete

But can anyone tell me whether any of these soaps are using real Sandalwood. And as Fido is the only one getting a free sample of my latest efforts (now called Sandalwoody, not wishing to mislead), how good is your nose Fido?

I have some "real" sandalwood (santalum album) and some other stuff sold as "sandalwood" which is also indentified as Amyris balsamifera; the former cost me £28, the latter £2.50 (both 10ml)

The real stuff smells sweetish and clean, whereas the cheaper stuff (often from the West Indies or Australia) has a sharper, spicier and smokier smell. Not as nice but arguably not 10% as nice (as the price differential would suggest). A blend might make the expensive stuff go further, but also ruins it (imho) so I keep them separate.

HTH

Ollie

our clerical expert has a discerning hooter me thinks.

i suppose the Sandalwoods i've sniffed in the past have been of the cheaper variey :roll:

Tony - good posting mate

i've been wondering something similar with regards to a winter soap or indeed a whole line of shaving gear aligned to the seasons.

Summer - i suppose it's the Proraso\Ingrams\Lime Ice basic menthol route for that time of year. Aqua Velve etc etc

Winter - something spicey, not just in scent but something that gives a warm sensation i.e. the opposite of menthol - not chilli before you say HM :lol:
i don't like Bay Rum before it gets suggested, cloves and cinnamon perhaps.

Spring - i'd go for a fresh scent like Irisch Moos\La Toja\Speick

Autumn - Tabac\Old Spice

any other thoughts chaps?

sorry to highjack your original thread Tony :oops:

please add your thoughts here
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1218</a><!-- l -->

Rev-O said:
I have some "real" sandalwood (santalum album) and some other stuff sold as "sandalwood" which is also indentified as Amyris balsamifera; the former cost me £28, the latter £2.50 (both 10ml)

The real stuff smells sweetish and clean, whereas the cheaper stuff (often from the West Indies or Australia) has a sharper, spicier and smokier smell. Not as nice but arguably not 10% as nice (as the price differential would suggest). A blend might make the expensive stuff go further, but also ruins it (imho) so I keep them separate.

HTH

Ollie

Ol, how's the Jesus sandals wood?

Rev-O said:

HTH

Ollie

It is Amyris Balsamifera which is the main ingredient scent wise in my latest 'Sandalwoody' soap; but I have added a little cedarwood and a little Ylang Ylang, the idea of the latter being to sweeten the sharpness of the other two a little. Best affordable solution I could come up with.

I've just been rereading this excellent thread. Ever thought of taking up wine reviewing Tony?

Any one remember the Gambol's cartoons in the Express? Gay had great excuses for spending money.

I tried but did not like the scent of DR Harris Almond. So I passed it on but kept the bowl. Rather liked C&T Sienna, so bought a puck which I managed to squeeze in to the Harris bowl. Then I saw the C&T 20% free post offer. Thought it would be more civilised to have the proper bowl for the Sienna. So now I have the vacant DRH bowl. I hate waste. So here I am considering the best way of using it. So it has to be Marlborough. Now how can I just order that when Tony tells us that really the best of this lot is the AOS?
Well, I have to draw the line somewhere.

But It's my birthday in January.

Ruth - where are you? Got a bright idea for a birthday gift - will make a good companion for Martin de Candre, the Christmas gift I identified for you. Now where's the best price for the AOS?

Back
Top Bottom