Windrose Handle

I have just ordered a heavy knurled one.

After using a long handled Merkur Slant for a very long time and the short version before that I thought I would try the new Muhle R41 Open Comb - I had one of the older versions, but sold it on rather quickly. It was too aggressive for me.

[Correction: After doing some reading I note that the razor I found too aggressive and sold on was the Muhle-Pinsel R89 Open Combe, discontinued 2009.]

The new R41 head is fabulous for me with a Feather blade to cut my old white whiskers that get more wiry every year!

The R41 looks great, but the handle I find too slippery after using a heavily knurled workman's toolbox Merkur for years.

Let'e see how I get on with the SSL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Windr...-choose-from-Stainless-Steel-Al-/262218020727

Just ordered it. I will report.

Last edited:
My Windrose SSL handle arrived in very quick time. I have used it with the R41 head and a Feather blade on three days growth of white wiry whiskers. The combination worked impressively well. The R41 with the Grande handle was good but after using the long handled Merkur Slant for many years I did not feel quite in control with the lighter R41 Grande handle. The Windrose SSL handle corrects the problem very well. The extra weight and the deep knurling on the SSL handle make the difference for me.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

Last edited:
My Windrose SSL handle arrived in very quick time. I have used it with the R41 head and a Feather blade on three days growth of white wiry whiskers. The combination worked impressively well. The R41 with the Grande handle was good but after using the long handled Merkur Slant for many years I did not feel quite in control with the lighter R41 Grande handle. The Windrose SSL handle corrects the problem very well. The extra weight and the deep knurling on the SSL handle make the difference for me.

Agreed - I use my R41 with the brushed version of the handle pictured by the OP above; the balance & weight of the handle/head combination is perfect.

OK, they're not hand made, but they're great quality for the price point.

Are my images at Post #7 visible to you all?
Or do I have to use the "Upload File" feature as I have below?

BB1.JPG
Merkur Long Handled Slant and stock Muhle R41 Grande

BB2.JPG
Merkur Long Handled Slant and R41 Head with Windrose SSL Handle

BB3.JPG
Muhle Grande Handle and Windrose SSL Handle

The long Muhle handle weighs 60g and the SSL 100g. The extra weight and the better grip changes everything for me.

Anyone want a brand new Muhle Grande handle?

Last edited:
Is this still open offer? Maybe i'm interested.

I was just a throwaway line, but if it is of use to you I'm sure we can come to an arrangement, but not quickly.

I am in Cyprus till 9 June and the handle is in Southampton. When I'm back post or PM again, if you are interested still. I used it thee times!

Back
Top Bottom