Windows 10

Once you do the initial upgrade the machine should be registered, you can skip the key part during the clean install.

I suspect I have a Win7 volume licence and seems ProduKey doesn't work for that. Yet worse, in may be a repairer's rip-off copy. However, I'll have another look in the morning when the grey cells are refreshed. Thanks for this, Hunny.

The volume licence key explains it.

You can't upgrade for free if you are a corporate user.

If you do a clean install, you should be able to use the key on your laptop if it's required.

Put the blank drive in and try it.
What have you got to lose?

I was unable to do a clean install on my wife's laptop, it wouldn't accept the Win7 product key as being valid for 10. I bought the retail box Windows 7 so it's a legit key. In the end I reinstalled 7, then ran the 10 installation from within 7 and that worked. She seems to like it, but I think I prefer 7.

I'm sticking with W7 Ultimate on my Dell desktop. This hasn't been tested by Dell for 10, Microsoft won't serve me a 10 version because of some Intel drivers wanting ( no updates from Dell available ) and the Dell forums are stiff with complaints about total losses of connectivity, especially Bluetooth and wireless.

Not quite as easy-peasy as it was cracked up to be, it would appear.

+1 for Sumatra, been using it for a while (before that Foxit, but it was turning into bloatware). Avoid Adobe Reader, first because it's a resource hog, but second because PDF is a big source of virus attacks and Reader tends to open the doors wide for them (the only time I have been infected by a virus was via Reader, I don't normally hold grudges, but I make an exception in this case).

I've upgraded both our laptops and the desktop PC to win 10.When I checked with the jellybean key finder the same key is shown on all three systems so I suspect once upgraded its the same key for all if you need to do a fresh install

Posted this on BB so I thought I'd replicate it here:
TIP!
Had a problem the other day on the Tablet. Chrome crashed and in the end I had to taskkill it via its PID from then on the whole thing ran like a bag of spanners. CPU constantly at 27% from 15 to 20 random(ish) tasks all ticking a way. Tried numerous things but finally tracked it back to Java Updater. Disabled that all lovely and fast again. I've since updated the Java but haven't re-enabled the updater yet.
TIP2
Digitiser screen started going barmy today inking showing up a word or two behind what I was writing. Pen being seen as a mouse, documents zooming on a single finger scroll. Had to install Wacom Feel drivers from Wacom US. All good - I'd updated the Intel graphics driver the day before so I think that was the problem but I can't be bothered to do all the uninstalling/reinstalling to prove it.

Had to ditch Sumatra and go back to Foxit - Sumatra automatically opens all the bookmarks when you open a document making it a nightmare to navigate complex, large PDFs on the tablet. There is a short-cut to collapse them all BUT it needs you to use the numberpad keys....
Managed to resolve the constant CPU usage in Foxit by renaming the Docushare.fpi file to .old this is a (now) known problem with v7.2. Apparently even if you un-install the Cloud components it was still opening gazillions of handles.

Back
Top Bottom