Windows 10

As we've lost the original thread, I'll start another ...

I just very nearly had Windows 7 upgraded - has to be done remotely by MS - and right at the last moment she told me that all my third party software would be deleted. Que? That's not an upgrade - that's a reinstallation! I politely declined to go ahead and I'm staying with Win7 for the foreseeable.
Whew!

I took the plunge on Windows 10 last week. Glad I did as it runs a bit slicker than the previous incumbent 8.

Installation was painless and I don't believe I have lost anything - at least, nothing that I have noticed.

I am using it at home, I like the clean interface. I upgraded my existing windows 7 install then I put a new drive in and did a fresh install onto that. I had a couple of driver issues at the start but it was easily resolved. I am happy with it.

Tablet mode has some flaky animations and I've had to re-install a couple of things but so far so good.
Had to stop using Adobe Reader as it was using half a gig of RAM for 2 pdfs totalling 97 meg, tried reader but that was using quarter of a gig so I ended up with Foxit - 67mb...!? and still fast enough. Had a bit of a struggle to remove the Foxit Cloud nonsense which was causing constant 1 to 10% cpu usage - not good on battery.

I've upgraded 2 laptops from 8.1 over the last fortnight. Everything was pretty painless, although on one the touch pad stopped working pending the installation of new drivers sat in 'Notifications'.

Tablet mode has some flaky animations and I've had to re-install a couple of things but so far so good.
Had to stop using Adobe Reader as it was using half a gig of RAM for 2 pdfs totalling 97 meg, tried reader but that was using quarter of a gig so I ended up with Foxit - 67mb...!? and still fast enough. Had a bit of a struggle to remove the Foxit Cloud nonsense which was causing constant 1 to 10% cpu usage - not good on battery.
Try SumatraPDF

I hunted down my old HDD and got it all USB'd - upgrade the original OEM version of Window 7, installed when I bought the computer. Simples! Except in a bout of piss and efficiency at some mad moment I had cleaned the drive ready for external storage. No original copy!! Puck!!

Aha! who's a clever chap, then? So if I bought an SSD and then took your idea I'd finish up with exactly what I wanted in the first place! Brilliant! Thank 'ee kindly, zur.

What I would do -
Clone your laptop onto the spare HDD.
Install the cloned drive into your laptop and upgrade it.
If it works, buy a SSD and clone the upgraded HDD onto it.
If it doesn't, install the original drive.

Back
Top Bottom