Wilkinson Sword Hydro Comfort aka Stubble Eraser

I often do not shave for 7 to 10 days because of Rosacea, Folliculitis, or laziness. Previously I have used a grooming trimmer - too messy, Schick Injector - blades becoming a lot more expensive. So now I have been using the Wilkinson Sword Hydro Comfort aka Stubble Eraser. I am not sure how long each blade lasts before it becomes extremely tuggy, but probably 10 first passes. It is almost as efficient as an Injector. And if you look out for bargains, currently £5.25 in Wilko for 4 it's relatively affordable.

Last edited:
Are you using the "Skin Reset" or the one that used to be the "Sense" with the lockable joint behind the head?

I've used the latter a lot over the last year and very much enjoy it. The blades are sharper (to my face) than the Gillette Fusion format and the cartridge will do 12-15 shaves of the same standard as the very first. I'm happy to push on to 20 ish before calling it a day as I really don't appreciate dulling blades. But yes, 12-15 the same as the first shave.

Is it this one you have in mind?

I found its blades to be somewhat tuggy, at least when compared to the Gillette SkinGuard blades.

I found its blades to be somewhat tuggy, at least when compared to the Gillette SkinGuard blades.
Likewise - struggled with this one. Both the 3 & 5 blade versions. Went back to the Mach 3 for quick/simple shaves. Although, I find the WS handle with the lockout head far more comfortable and balanced. YMMV etc etc

Are you using the "Skin Reset" or the one that used to be the "Sense" with the lockable joint behind the head?

I've used the latter a lot over the last year and very much enjoy it. The blades are sharper (to my face) than the Gillette Fusion format and the cartridge will do 12-15 shaves of the same standard as the very first. I'm happy to push on to 20 ish before calling it a day as I really don't appreciate dulling blades. But yes, 12-15 the same as the first shave.
Yes, the Skin Reset version.

Likewise - struggled with this one. Both the 3 & 5 blade versions. Went back to the Mach 3 for quick/simple shaves. Although, I find the WS handle with the lockout head far more comfortable and balanced. YMMV etc etc
The Hydro Comfort is different from a normal cart such as a Mach3. I did my first pass today with the Hydro Comfort for my first shave since Christmas Day. My second pass was with a Mach3.

I haven’t tried the SkinGuard. I am not 100% sure they are aimed at the same market. The SkinGuard is for sensitive skin, whilst the Hydro Comfort is for guys that do not shave often, and shave when there is plenty of stubble. I shaved today with a fresh cart and it was tug free. The last time I used my old cart it tugged like hell, but had probably been used 10 times at least.

I haven’t tried the SkinGuard. I am not 100% sure they are aimed at the same market. The SkinGuard is for sensitive skin, whilst the Hydro Comfort is for guys that do not shave often, and shave when there is plenty of stubble. I shaved today with a fresh cart and it was tug free. The last time I used my old cart it tugged like hell, but had probably been used 10 times at least.
Not the same market, but then I yank the lubrication strip and the rubber "comb" off the cartridges I use, generally because I either don't need them or because they help in one place but hinder elsewhere.
Without the rubber strip, the SkinGuard fares fairly well even with longer growth.

Does the gloop pod strip on the Skin Reset cartridge click out of the way like the other Wilkinson Sword cartridges? On the others, they're very easy to remove if you're using a shaving soap. Mind you, the Wilkie gloop pods are a damn sight better than the Gillette gloop bar and works very well with a shaving gel.

Does the gloop pod strip on the Skin Reset cartridge click out of the way like the other Wilkinson Sword cartridges? On the others, they're very easy to remove if you're using a shaving soap. Mind you, the Wilkie gloop pods are a damn sight better than the Gillette gloop bar and works very well with a shaving gel.
It does indeed...

Back
Top Bottom