Wilkinson Sword: First Try

I'm a relatively new shaver and starting to experiment with blades a bit. TO now the Astra SP has been my main blade.

My goal is to find a go to smooth blade and a go to sharper blade.

I was pretty blow away by the smoothness of the German Wilkinson Sword. It feels to be a similar sharpness to the Astra, but very smooth shave, and I really felt I could relax a bit with this blade. I'm going to stick with it for a while. After this shave, I'd really think that this should be high on the best beginner's blade list.

With that in mind, I'd like to ask if anyone knows of a blade with a similar feel to the Wilk but that is a sharper? Up to now the Polsilver SI is my top sharp blade, but I'd love to find something that has a similar feel to the Wilk.

There are at least 10 blades out there that are as good as the German Wilki blade. You want a Sharper blade than the Wilki do you? Put a Kai blade in an R41 razor & let us know if you survive the shave.:eek:

I was honestly not expecting anything special from this blade based on other reviews so was totally surprised to find how well it agreed with me. Another example of ymmv. But no doubt for me, this is the smoothest blade I've tried by far.

I know there are a lot of sharper blades, I actually turned to this one because of a nice case of razor burn delivered by a Perma Sharp. So it was time to try what was generally regarded as a smooth mild blade.

For whatever reason the grind on this blade in a Muhle R89 just felt very natural for my face, so I was just wondering if there are sharper blades that otherwise have a similar feel, I suppose that's way to subjective of a question though.

One such pairing I've found is for me Polsilver SI shaves like an Astra SP only sharper, the character of the two are similar.

Maybe that would the the topic of an interesting thread, idk.

I was honestly not expecting anything special from this blade based on other reviews so was totally surprised to find how well it agreed with me. Another example of ymmv. But no doubt for me, this is the smoothest blade I've tried by far.

I know there are a lot of sharper blades, I actually turned to this one because of a nice case of razor burn delivered by a Perma Sharp. So it was time to try what was generally regarded as a smooth mild blade.

For whatever reason the grind on this blade in a Muhle R89 just felt very natural for my face, so I was just wondering if there are sharper blades that otherwise have a similar feel, I suppose that's way to subjective of a question though.

One such pairing I've found is for me Polsilver SI shaves like an Astra SP only sharper, the character of the two are similar.

Maybe that would the the topic of an interesting thread, idk.
++ 1 for the Polsilver SI most of the russian made blades are sharp & smooth i recommend you try the voskhods, that's if you haven't already..imho along with the Gillette 7o'clock sharpedge they equal to The Germsn W/S blades.Regards.:)

the german wilkies can be a hit and miss item. they have more lot to lot variation then I care for, but in certain razors, you have a 5% chance of a nick if you pay attention. and maybe 11% chance if you fall asleep mid shave.
They are reliable when you have a good lot number, I have experienced one bad lot number that scared the shite out of me.

try one in a fat boy or a black beauty.

Woah, that's good to know, way to pricey a blade to deal with that. I guess I just got a god one.

I just tried the 7 O'Clock supersharp, and had a great shave, so thanks Palmolive Fox for that tip.

well ive only been using Wilkinson Germany for a year and a half, and have only had one month that I have learned to avoid. but its not bad or good, I can find bad blades in any brands.

Its just that from 1 store, 8 packages purchased with the same production date range, of 13 days, 3 packs usable standard quality and the others were totally skewed up. 70% of those 5 packs were below "sharpened tin can lid" quality,

Back
Top Bottom