Wilkinson soap, Blue plastic tub........Update

I noticed today in a local discount store that the above is on offer at £1.00 per tub.
Is this stuff any good? and should I buy some?
Anyone out there use it.
regards, beejay

I tried this today and have to say it was'nt great.. :(
I was on the 8th shave with an Iridium Super ( yesterday's shave with Tabac was still very smooth and close) and found the blade was really dragging as the lather was just so thin and gave little or no lubrication for the blade.
The lather dried up just after a second pass and,even straight from the puck I found a lather difficult to achieve.
Do like the smell however and maybe as a quick spring/summer shave with a disposable it would be OK.
It was worth trying but I dont think I'll be using it again.
Im very pleased with the Iridium Super however and would have to say its the best blade Ive tried so far!!
Tomorrow I try my first Personna Platinum (Red),, could it be as good or even better than the Iridium? :shave

regards, beejay

Re: Wilkinson soap, Blue plastic tub

Palmolive is a million times better (and that includes the smell). A stick can be had in most supermarkets for around 50p. Use it as a stick or grate it in to a bowl and firm it down with your thumb.

it's not THAT bad
not the best glycerin soap
but like the lads say Palmolive is a far better bet

it was the soap (black bowl) i'd been using for years before moving to DE and learning how to wet-shave properly

i've got a blue bowl with Palmolive grated into it and the WS melted through it, that's not too bad

For £1 yes of course. If you don't like it you can always offer advice to others as a user.

If you see any of the cheaper ones (particularly Palmolive and Erasmic creams and soaps) buy them also; try Boots' soap, cream and balm too. You will have the foundation of a nice shaving stash.

Some of the expensive stuff (creams) can't hold a candle to Erasmic or Palmolive, I believe.

Buy it, test it, recommend it, hate it but above all get in amongst it all. Minimal cost - maximum experimentation - optimum performance.

Hope this helps?
:)

Personally I prefer it to the erasmic soap. It's not the greatest but for a pound I'd go for it. Nice, fresh clean soap.

I do like the Palmolive cream and stick but I find myself reaching for this fairly regularly - for about £2.50 you could have all three.

I appreciate all the comments and recommendations, thank you.
I'm making some bowls for shaving sets so i'll get some for those and I'll probably try one just to compare with my erasmic stick and tabac.
Seems very cheap,,£1 for a bowl of shaving soap.
regards, beejay

At £1 it is worth a try.

My wife likes the scent, she says that is smells 'clean'. Don't know what that means exactly, but its a little strong for me and lingers for quite a while after. I also find that on a 2nd pass I get a little stinging. Probably from the perfume on my freshly shaved face.

As far as lathering goes, it appreciates a good soak in hot water to soften it up a little. The bowl can be held upside down while working your brush around which lets excess water drain off.

hando said:
i take it the Erasmic stick is the old formulation

I bought the last 3 sticks from my local chemist when I read about the new formulation.
I think they should last for a long time as I no doubt will be trying a lot of other brands over the coming months/years. :)

My experience with Wilkinson soap isn't good. I just tried again with it, but just can't get a decent lather from it. I then tried with the palmolive shave stick and that is much, much better.

hi all
i have a blue wilkinson blue , its ok ,i just bought a black wilkinson for a £1.12,coop on offer.
try it tomorrow, favorite is proraso but gets boring using every day. i have a few tubs of erasmic and even though it not really expensive seem to go for this as a quick go for in the mornings , the palmolive is pretty good stuff and only cheap to. i have a few more soaps here and there ,some are really expensive and not that good , but the proraso and erasmic are the ones i like most .
rac :D

Back
Top Bottom