Wild finds

Working around Scotland this week and found a wee junk/antique shop in the Highlands.

I went in looking for DE's (Someone has to go Darwin hunting as bottom dials and toggles are out of season)

The owner initially said "certainly, how many do you want" getting excited I waited in anticipation as he went "out back" and returned with 3 rolls Razors and a box of straights.

Explaining it was not what I had in mind, he looked crestfallen, so I bought the straights as I think his one visitor/sale per week may be keeping his nose red....

Anyhow, this is what I ended up with, in various states of repair, a seven day set (Bismark) 2 white handled (ivory?) and 5 black (Ebony)? One of the Ivory has a very tatty looking (chipped) KROPP blade. The rest look original as all are stamped "Bismark"

Also included were as follows:-

Tuckmar Regent (amber translucent handle, the blade top is wide and has ornamental engraving)

Crown and Sword

Royal exchange "Half Crown razor"

Puma "Silver Steel" razor

Morris Davies "Diamond Edge"

Air Brand "Extra Qualitat"

And the 7 Bismarks.

Any thoughts straight experts? Worth getting them worked on/selling, trading or scrap???

Photobucket is not playing ball just now, but I will edit the post with some photo's when I can.

Any advice gratefully received!

image.jpg1_zpsdugulgcr.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsjzqba5gi.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsqdwad2kc.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsltidc6gc.jpg

Looks like a nice selection of razors to me. I'm not sure if there is hone wear or it's just the way the light is reflecting off the spin but I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will be along to let you know. The chips on the Kropp could probably be ground out but it would be quite narrow after and it looks like someone has tried to square the point off, so it might not be worth restoring.

Appreciate the input. I have no knowledge of straights at all...

I may just stick them on BST or the bay. Not really my thing, though the shop owner is now on the lookout for DE's for me.... ?

If anyone knows the best way to value these, I would appreciate the advice.

The Puma is the best condition, the Amber handled one the most ornate.

The set is pretty cool in the box, I can appreciate people having a seven day set and using them every day, with my love of Port, Saturday and Sunday's razors would probably remain as new!

Sorry, the price of straights are a bit of a mystery to me especially in terms of which brands fetch more. A few more close ups so you can see the spines for signs of hone wear and straight from the point to give an idea of the grind would be helpful to someone who knows what they're doing. If the condition is okay I think it would cost about £20 a razor for them to be honed to shave ready and maybe a bit more if you wanted a mirror finish or the scales cleaned and peened.

The 7 day box is a nice thing too and plenty of people will want it to store their straights. As the Bismarks aren't a complete 7 day set you might want to choose the 7 in the best condition and sell them with the box, though you might have to wait longer than if you sold everything separately.

Some interesting finds there mate.

What condition is the 7 day set in- do the razors match (other than the daily wear which you alluded to which I quite understand!)

I must get myself around my local antique/junk shops one day. Loads near me!

Hi Tony, the seven day set is in decent nick, other than the fact one of them is either not matching, or has had the blade replaced with a KROPP blade. That one has damage to the edge. The Puma looks almost new.....

they are clearly worthless mate - if you send me £25 It'll cover their food and board for the next 30 years (i'd be doing you a favour really) then just pop em in the post and i'll look after them for you.

The Kropp is probably not worth trying to restore because of the hone wear on the spine and frown on the blade edge. The scales are not ivory - or ebony - just standard celluloid from what I can make out.

Most of them seem to be in a restorable condition - looking at Ebay will give you some idea of value.

Thanks Rob, I will take a look.

I have a straight I bought ages ago, the blade is nicely engraved with lots of Masonic symbols.

Might speak to you in the future about tidying it up for display.......

Back
Top Bottom