WiFi Texting/Messaging between the US and the UK.

Need some advice on Cell Phone/tablet Apps. My teenaged daughter will be going to the UK and Europe this summer on an Educational Adventure. I'm starting to compile everything she'll need now and have a question on WiFi Texting/Messaging between her and us while she's there. I'm looking for the Best Apps to install on her- our phone/tablets to communicate with each other??
Appreciate your input.

WhatsApp is great for instant messaging.
It will work on Android and IOS.
You can now make calls over Wifi from it, so should save you a few quid.

Best of all, it's free for a year.
The only downside is that you need to install it on a device that has a cellular connection.

I would go for Skype as a second resort.

MrK1 said:
WhatsApp is great for instant messaging.
It will work on Android and IOS.
You can now make calls over Wifi from it, so should save you a few quid.

Best of all, it's free for a year.
The only downside is that you need to install it on a device that has a cellular connection.

I would go for Skype as a second resort.

This

Also a game like "dice with buddies" has a chat function. It's basic but another avenue

Have both an older Iphone 3, and a Samsung 3 Mini that she can take. The iPhone is ATT; the Samsung has T-Mobil on it. Have 2 months before she leaves so we can play with some of the ideas.
Thinking that she can take both and at worse she can use one for photos(;-)
Let you know how they work.

I use Viber to keep in touch with people in Argentina and Portugal regularly and have used it to talk to and text friends throughout South America and Europe as well as Thailand; all from the UK. It was the most reliable solution for South America, Skype being quite flakey.

My daughter is on her year aboard, via her uni coarse. We communicate via an app called Kik.
However, the BT smart talk app is great. She can call anywhere, via wifi, and it costs exactly what it would if she used our home phone. As we have the inclusive anytime plan, it's free!
Bear in mind Three Mobile now include some counties in Europe and the rest of the world as UK only costs

Having trouble with Viber and Whatsapp. Still working on them. As my daughter just told me that the camera on the iPhone stopped working, it looks like we're going to be sending the Samsung with her. Going to have to narrow the apps down to ones that will work with it.

Johnus said:
Having trouble with Viber and Whatsapp. Still working on them. As my daughter just told me that the camera on the iPhone stopped working, it looks like we're going to be sending the Samsung with her. Going to have to narrow the apps down to ones that will work with it.
As you are having problems with both apps, could there be a problem with the phones?

It's been a while since I installed Viber, but What'sApp is pretty straight forward.

What errors (if any) are you getting?

Have Whatapps set on my iPhone and the samsung. Don't understand this Chat idea. Have sent a text from one to the other. Is Chat just Text???

Back
Top Bottom