Wide Angle Zoom

I am considering whether to buy the Sigma 10-20m f/4-5.6 or the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I have a Nikon D7000.

Anyone got a view on which is the better lens? This will be my first non-Nikkor lens so I am nervous about buying.

Opinions would be most welcome!

David

Never had a Tokina but I did have a Sigma on one of my Canons and it was a superb lens for the price. Also had a very good macro facility on it. Have a look at the amateur photographer forum, usually some good info in there

I've got the Sigma for my D80, it's a really nice lens, sharp, well built and a really fun focal length range. The Tokina is faster, but I'm afraid I've got no info on which is the 'better' lens.

I have the Sigma 10 - 20 on my Canon 60D, it's a fantastic lens for a cropped sensor camera, it is highly recommended lens on the photography forums I frequent. The Toikina gets good reviews as well, but the little extra reach the Sigma has to me just gives it the advantage.

Thank you. Many reviews that I read seemed to think that the Tokina was better built but what clinched it for me over the Sigma is the constant f/2.8. As they always say YMMV but the Tokina came out as good as the equivalent Nikon glass which is more than twice the price. I can forgo the additional length as I have an 18-55mm in any case so I am only losing a very small amount but gaining more light catching ability.

Thanks again for all who took the trouble to answer!

David

Back
Top Bottom