Wickhams 1912 Versus Haslinger Tallow

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

DSC_0431_zpsfdz4ygvr.jpg

DSC_0431_zpsydmvulij.jpg

Two Pass Shaving Routine...:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Argan Oil
Southern & Richardson Swiftsure Sheffield Full Hollow 6/8th ( Freshly Honed )
Hans Baier Silver Tip
Wickham 1912 Un Scented Vegetal Soap
Logona Mann Balm

I Got this Cast Steel SR Yesterday & I Worked on it for Most of the Day to Bring Some Life Back into It..I Got it for £9.00 English to My Door..A Wee Bit of Old Soldiers Spit n Polish & I Honed Her Up & Shaved with Her this Morning with this Wonderful Wickham 1912 Vegetal Soap that the Maker @Fox Darron Kindly Sent Me to Try Free of Charge..:p

As Folks around here will Know I am a Tallow Man through & through..I Rate Haslinger Very Highly..Its the Best Tallow Soap I have Ever Encountered for Quality of Lather, Slickness, Cushion & Post Shave Feel..Its Very Good Value as a Puck Lasts a Very Long Time..Its Not Always Fair to Compare the Price of Soaps Gram per Gram as Some Soaps Last Longer than Others..o_O

Darron is Obviously Confident in his Product & Rightly So..His 1912 Soaps comes in a Quality Well Packaged Huge Puck..I was Immediately Struck by the Quality of Darrons Product..His Soap Looks & Feels Like Tallow to the Touch..The Un Scented Variation has a Hint of a Nutty Smell is Lovely for Me..I am Hyper Sensitive to Scents & Ingredient's in General..;)

The Wickham 1912 Loads in Secs as One Would Expect form a High Quality Soap..I Face Lathered in Jig Time..Like Haslinger Tallow it Goes On Like a Thick Plaster..When the Brush Touched my Face I Knew it Wasn't a Tallow However..The 1912 has a Vegetal Feel from the 1st Touch..:rolleyes:

That's Said..I was Very Impressed with the Cushion of the 1912 Soap & the Quality of the Lather is Like No other Vegetal Soap that I have Encountered..Its in a Class of its Own..No Bones about That..No Wonder there are So Many Rave Review's about It..They are Well Deserved & Maybe then Some..:)

The 1912 Soap for Me is Just about Up there & Better than Some Tallow Soaps for Sure..An SR Shave is a Test for any Soap in My Opinion..I Need all the Cushion & Glide a Soap can Possibly Offer..Safety Razors are Toys by SR Standards..;)

I use Haslinger Regularly & My Shave with the this SR Today was a Bit Sticky in Terms of Glide..The Cushion was Excellent & Just about as Good as Haslingers & Better than Some Tallow Soaps I can think Of..I Need an Awesome Glide with an SR & Found the 1912 Soap just Lacked that Superiority of What Haslinger Tallow has to Offer Me..Animal Fat Over Vegie Fat is the key here for Me..They are Not Like for Like..:cool:

Its the 1st Time I have Used Wickham 1912 & the 1st Time I have used this SR..I Adjusted My Water as I saw Fit for Slickness but Haslinger was in My Mind & then I Got a Cut for My Wandering thoughts..One of those..Awe Naw..Jobs..:D:D

That was Me Mind..Not the Soap..Darrons 1912 Soap is an Excellent High Quality Soap..Haslinger Tallow is a Hard Soap for any Vegetal Soap to Compete with in My Humble Opinion..I will Have My Next Shave with this Same SR & Haslinger to have an Immediate Comparison with the Same Tools..:p

Thanks to Darron for Sending Me this Wonderful Soap to Try..I Like it Very Much..Its the Best Vegetal Soap to ever Touch My Skin..No Bones about That..Skin Friendly is the Operative Word here & the Post Shave is as Amazing as any Tallow Soap & that Includes Haslinger..:D

Billy

Thanks for a completely honest assesment Billy, I expected nothing less. Whilst I for one wouldn't have expected the 1912 to displace your Haslinger which is, as you say, hard to equal, even harder to beat. Glad you enjoyed this gr8 soap.

JohnnyO. o/
Its a Great Soap..I Woudnt have Believed a Veggie Based Soap Could be as Good as that..Its as Clean & Refreshing as a High Quality Tallow..An Honest High Quality Soap from an Honest Maker..:D

Billy

Great write up, in a way it's a shame you are sensitive to fragrances Billy. The scented 1912's have slightly more glide/slip due to the additional glycerine used as the carrier. Obviously this addition is missing in the unscented, though I have just made a note to myself to allow for this in future batches of unscented.

Sorry to read you nicked yourself and hope you mend quick.

If you don't mind when I make another batch with the slight amendment, can I send you some for testing and feedback please?

All the best
Darron :)

Great write up, in a way it's a shame you are sensitive to fragrances Billy. The scented 1912's have slightly more glide/slip due to the additional glycerine used as the carrier. Obviously this addition is missing in the unscented, though I have just made a note to myself to allow for this in future batches of unscented.

Sorry to read you nicked yourself and hope you mend quick.

If you don't mind when I make another batch with the slight amendment, can I send you some for testing and feedback please?

All the best
Darron :)
I Would be more than Honoured to Do that Darron..I have some Glycerine & I Will Add it Next Time I use it..Yeah..The Fragrance thing is a Nightmare for me..I have used One Hand Soap all My Life for the Same Reason..:D

Billy

I Would be more than Honoured to Do that Darron..I have some Glycerine & I Will Add it Next Time I use it..Yeah..The Fragrance thing is a Nightmare for me..I have used One Hand Soap all My Life for the Same Reason..:D

Billy
Knowing this I will make sure there is an unscented in my line of bath soaps and face soap as well. I'm sure there other people out there with the same skin type. :)

DSC_0434_zpsknrsohef.jpg

Three Pass Shaving Routine...:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Argan Oil
Southern & Richardson Swiftsure Sheffield Full Hollow 6/8th
VP Leon Hardy Pure Badger
Haslinger Tallow Soap
Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Has another Shave Today with My Recently Restored Southern & Richardson Swiftsure 6/8th..This SR has a Deceptively Long Blade..A Full Centimetre Longer than Most..I Didn't Really Notice the 1st Time I used it although Something Felt Kinda Different..A Darn Fine Shaver & it Didn't Cut me this Time neither it Did..;)

After Face Lathering with the Haslinger Tallow I Immediately Felt the Difference in Slickness & Glide Compared to the Wickham 1912 Vegetal Soap..The Cushion is about Equal..My 1st Pass was a Lot Closer & More What I am used to when Shaving with a Well Honed & Sharpened SR..I had a DFS Result on the 1st Pass..o_O

Now the Difference is in the Tallow for Me..Haslinger is a Traditional Tallow Soap..Its Not One of these Post Modern Artisan USA Made So Called Tallow Soaps..I Have Used a Number of them & Wasn't Impressed with Any..They were Jumped Up Mediocre Vegetal Soaps at Best with some So Called Tallow Oils Added as an After
thought..Very Poor Performers in My Experience without Banding Names Around..:eek:

The Active thing for a Tallow like Haslinger for Me is that the Soap Moves like a Wave with Each Stroke of the Blade..The Tallow Actually Slips on the Face & Provides a Wonderful Glide..Haslinger is in a Constant State of Change & Not Static..To Me that's the Hall Mark of a Good Tallow Soap & I Reckon its Hard to Replicate with Vegetal Type Soaps..In My Humble Experience anyway..:p

I am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:D

Billy

I Find It Very Hard To Read Your Posts. Why Are You Writing Like This?

I also find Wickham 1912 few classes over Haslinger. Mostly a personal issue, as I hate Haslinger soaps. Especially the honey one, felt like sticky, bad-smelling shaving foam.

Oh, and I also believe that the tallow love is in your fat (loving) head, Billy. I honestly never felt any "magic" coming from tallow soaps. If anything, I'm usually safer going with vegan formulations, because they don't feel the need to follow any "traditional" recipes of crappy shaving soap that was used 100 years ago. Not the case of Haslinger, but still.

Good tallow soaps perform better than bad vegan soaps and good vegan soaps perform better than bad tallow soaps. There's no magic, just chemical compounds mixed together. Some are mixing them well, others not, no matter what kind of fat they use.

Expressions and syntax vary even within our native dialects, not to mention our vocabulary. Just the other day I was told to, " Dinnae fash yersel' ". ' fash ', though perfectly polite, probably isn't a word you'll see in many English dictionaries. ( though the guy upsetting me was being a pure wee scunner at the time ! ) .

JohnnyO. o/

Expressions and syntax vary even within our native dialects, not to mention our vocabulary. Just the other day I was told to, " Dinnae fash yersel' ". ' fash ', though perfectly polite, probably isn't a word you'll see in many English dictionaries. ( though the guy upsetting me was being a pure wee scunner at the time ! ) .

JohnnyO. o/

:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom