Why Straight razor shaving?

Hi Joe

I can shave with both and get about the same result from both however I prefer to shave with straights. It makes me take my time and enjoy the experience of shaving more.

Exile

IME DE gives a better result but its more fun with a str8!

FWIW (and I wouldn't expect that anyone else's experience would be the same) my best shave is from 2 passes with a straight then a single clean up with an ever ready 1912 SE. Its better than the 1912 on its own and better than a DE and just using a str8 leaves me with hair that I can't do an ATG pass on because of the angle of growth and size/shape of a str8 blade. I have no idea why that particular combo gives me the best result but it does.

skinnyjoe313 said:
[J]ust really want to know why you chose straight razor shaving?

[D]oes it really give a better shave then DE shaving?

The answer to the first question is that I didn't want to keep buying new cartridges or blades each time my razor went dull. And my razor went dull after a week, and that was really pushing it. I could have gone over to DE's, but I didn't want to keep buying blades. I figured that in the long run straight razor shaving would be cheaper than to continually buy blades.

Not sure if I was right... A DE might have been cheaper than buying all of those hones and plunking down all the time required to master them. I think it costs about the same if you pay someone to hone your razor for you, depending on how much they charge. The straight razor does keep its edge much much longer. Here is a post I wrote comparing DE's to Straight Razors making an analogy as between driving a stick v. automatic car. Just two different ways of getting to the same destination.

The answer to the second question is that IME yes. I can get a straight razor much much sharper than a DE. I've tried all the best DE blades, Feather, Kai, etc. The best one I've tried was a vintage blade that is no longer produced. I was actually impressed by how sharp it was. I was unimpressed by the modern blades, but that is not to say you can't get a good shave out of them. Just that the straight razor can be sharper. With a sharper razor, I believe you achieve a better shave. Plus I enjoy it immensely more than a DE, so in that way its a better shave. Does it cut closer? Well, I'll think about it and get back to you.

To me, the two (DEs and open razors) are totally different forms of achieving the same end - being closely shaved. I expect it is the same kind of analogy to which drink you prefer, which car you drive, car or motorbike, roll-up cigarette, tailor-made cigarette, cigar or pipe - all have the same ends but the means of getting there are different.

If I'm in a hurry (which, I admit, is rarely the case) than a DE serves admirably. To me it is a bit like being on autopilot though - it is carelessly easy and the experience is something that leaves little satisfaction. Like the difference between smoking a cigarette or a cigar - the former is quickly forgotten, the latter (if it is a good one, like Mikael's are) is something to be savoured before, during and after the event.

To be brutally honest, getting an open razor as sharp as a DE blade takes a lot of experience, and depending on the formulation of steel used in the open razor it may be quite impossible. And surpass it? I have tried blades honed by nearly all the best exponents in several continents and I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say that any was 'sharper' than a good DE blade. However, given a good steel we can see that the only thing to assess in both DEs and open razors is the bit doing the cutting - the tip of the bevel. If both have equally good steel behind them, then there should be no difference (taking out the myriad little things like poor stropping, poor pre-shave, poor technique, below-par blades, etc, etc) between the two.

If the above holds true, then we have to explore other avenues - nothing is as simple as it seems, and better-informed people than most of us have been arguing the same issues as us for generations with no consensus of opinion: controlled experiments carried out by highly qualified technicians under the control of eminent scientists have been undertaken, but what should be black or white still appears to be grey, though.

One avenue explored is the thickness of the blade. IMO that does not count - the bevel is doing the cutting. Another is the coating applied to DE blades to allow them to 'slide' and give a smoother feeling in use. Another is what we really mean by 'sharpness' - to many this is the critical issue. DE blades and disposable blade open razors give a really sharp shave (although this is in line with what frameback open razors give) which can be uncomfortable and cause 'weepers' and irritation. Open razors generally do not exhibit this quality - they appear to give a smoother, more forgiving shave. That's only my opinion though - I'm no scientific expert, all I can base this on is my own skin type, hair type, preparation and the many hundreds of open razors and DEs I have tried.

There are other factors to consider, too. For instance, does stropping (especially on a pasted strop) - contribute to a secondary bevel that is more obtuse than the bevel straight of the hone for an open razor? Disregarding burrs, it certainly does something: the slightly too-sharp feeling tends to go away after the second or third shave with an open razor, and I believe that this is intimately coupled with stropping, having stropped a few razors for far longer than necessary to induce the feel of the 'third shave' without having to have shaved three times.

Cheapness of an open razor compared to a DE? That's a bit of a poser. You will need a selection of hones - expensive. You will need a decent strop - expensive. Then there are pastes, powders, different stropping materials, paddle and hanging strops to try, oils for both razor and strop to consider, diamond compounds to try out and most of all IME - the overwhelming desire to own yet another open razor. I could kit-out my Fatboy with enough blades to shave my whole body until the day I die for less! Compound disposable blades might push it a bit, though!

In the end analysis. I don't think it is a matter of which is best, but which you prefer. Accept that, and you can then sit back and let others tackle the technical dilemmas. My choice is an open razor.

Regards,
Neil

I've used both.

Neither one is better as they both simply result in hairs being taken off your face and washed down the plug 'ole.

Lots of pros and cons for each method.

Well, it´s way cool to shave with a cut throat :cool: :lol:

Wow, that was some nice answears! :D For me it works best and I like the feeling. I´ve had very good shaves from DE:s, so from a tech point I don´t think it matters (I like to belive my straight shaves holds a little longer, but I never tested it in a good way). As for sharpnes, well I think some edges can be to sharp - I like a smooth and sharp edge and it´s like Neil wrote, an edge can be to "crispy" after a hone session, but it usually calms down after a couple of shaves and then gives a clean and smooth shave. For me a good quality blade can hold it´s edge for a long time, in combination with a wedgy grind it holds even longer - but this can be very different, if you´ve got an ultra tough stubble or the opposite.

If you want to try, get a shave ready straight and buy a piece of leather (you can have it on a table and strop), brush and soaps you allready got. It´s a steep learning curve though and to be really good you´ve got to have staminia. To get a decent/good enough shave (still not close to what you get with the DE if you´re used to it) it would take approx 20 shaves, after that you´re starting to get some muscle memory and feel for what you´re doing. After around 60-100 shaves you should start to get really good results. You´ll get to even better results after a year or so and so on ... :D

Mikael said:
To get a decent/good enough shave (still not close to what you get with the DE if you´re used to it) it would take approx 20 shaves, after that you´re starting to get some muscle memory and feel for what you´re doing. After around 60-100 shaves you should start to get really good results. You´ll get to even better results after a year or so and so on ... :D

I have never tried a straight!

I get very good shaves now with a DE, and that took a year, so I guess the straight will take me at least a year to master... My point being that Mikaels remark about stamina might be a lot of stamina for some (like me).

I do have a Rolls Razor though, and to be frank I have yet to have a nice shave from it. Also I really do not care for the honing and stropping part, which probably keeps me from ever getting that nice shave with it.

So I'd say: buy a Rolls, they are cheap. If you get that to work, and enjoy the honing and stropping part, then consider straights.

I have decided to not try the straights, it is not going to work for me.

/Max

For me there is more fun with a straight but I have to tidy up with a de only because my straight skills are poor.

Straights are nice for the weekend when there is more time, you will need it.

Ever since I tried a straight, courtesy of Mikael, I'm hooked, I've had the odd DE adventure since then, but It's just really nice to use a straight once you get the hang off it.
With a few of mine, I can do a shave in almost the same amount of time it'd take using a DE, and I've been at for 6 months now. (and and can count the amount of time I used a DE on one hand)

I believe I'm a quick learner, so your milage may vary, but for me a straight gives me a closer shave, with less irritation. (less passes)

Max

Having thought about it, I've decided that I could talk a glass eye to sleep on the subject of "sharpness", so I'll do you all a favour and not bother.

Why do I use an open razor to the (virtual) exclusion of my DEs nowadays? No irritation, in essence. Plus I enjoy it immensely. Mikael's timescale for learning is very realistic in my opinion, and results in the first month are going to be decidedly mixed, but it's definitely well worth while.

Less irritation - thats a very good point. I get tenderness and sometimes a slight soreness with every DE shave, but never with an open razor.

You can test your progress in using an open razor with alum - when it stops stinging every time you use it, it means your technique is improving. I hardly ever get stinging from an alum block these days and rarely use one, except for the odd inadvertent nick.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom