Why shipping from Germany is so dear?

I have my eyes on a bottle of Hattric and a bottle of Pitralon classic, these are standard chemist bottom shelves ASL in Germany, something like €8 total for both in many shops there. But shipping is anything from £11 upward.

My German neighbours go every year to visit in summer and replenishing my supply but this year they didn't go so was looking for an online source. Can anyone please shed some light on a reasonable priced source?

I have my eyes on a bottle of Hattric and a bottle of Pitralon classic, these are standard chemist bottom shelves ASL in Germany, something like €8 total for both in many shops there. But shipping is anything from £11 upward.

My German neighbours go every year to visit in summer and replenishing my supply but this year they didn't go so was looking for an online source. Can anyone please shed some light on a reasonable priced source?
amazon.de - £5.34 delivery to UK, although Pitralon is an 'add-on' product and Hattric seems only available in packs of 5 bottles.
Your German neighbours might be able to help with language issues ;)

Edit: The delivery to UK is £4.06 per delivery plus £0.44 per kilo using current exchange rate. I had 6 bottles in my test basket for £5.34

Last edited:
I needed to buy an EdT gift for a German friend at Christmas. Since the international posting deadline was getting close, I decided to buy from Amazon.de and have it delivered to them directly. Turned out the item was dispatched from Scotland o_O

For Speick products Talea Naturkosmetik are a good seller on amazon.de. I've used them before myself and I think they charge 6 Euros (£4.50) flat for shipping to the UK. Even for a single bottle of Speick ASL this is OK, if you order several items you can have a bargain.

Not sure about Germany shipping charges, but shipping charges from USA vary. Some seem reasonable and they are usually the ones that are spot on, reading the postage label. But I've seen a few charge far too much. I'm not sure if it's a case of let's put international buyers off or are they charging mor to cover any lost items ?

Sometimes also it's the route they take. I've purchased from USA and it's gone via Germany. Cheapest charges are of course from China, items take a while though and I think I read somewhere the post is subsidised by the Chinese Government.

So took the Amazon.DE path as recommended above.

Taking the up to €20 with free postage get me:

100 ml Pitralon Classic
200 ml Hattric Pre Shave
100 ml Old Spice
100 ml Nivea Cool Kick fluid ASL

All for £14.3

Now the finger is twitching

So took the Amazon.DE path as recommended above.

Taking the up to €20 with free postage get me:

100 ml Pitralon Classic
200 ml Hattric Pre Shave
100 ml Old Spice
100 ml Nivea Cool Kick fluid ASL

All for £14.3

Now the finger is twitching
It's not €20 for free postage. The Pitralon is like our 'add-on items'. They won't sell it to you unless you spend €20. Postage will be shown at check out.

Edit: I get €6.25 postage for a similar order (not sure which Old Spice)

Last edited:
If the seller is Amazon, they do. I think they just send a lorry full of stuff to the UK and post it from here.

I needed to buy an EdT gift for a German friend at Christmas. Since the international posting deadline was getting close, I decided to buy from Amazon.de and have it delivered to them directly. Turned out the item was dispatched from Scotland o_O
I just ordered Carcassonne (game) from Amazon Germany after New Year... That arrived from Amazon's Dunfermline Megaplex the next day... I also ordered a few other things same day from Amazon UK - 3 USB cables (same product, different colour) and some crud to pack out to £20 for free shipping. Currently awaiting the 3 cables (shipped individually) and of course the crud has already landed.

It's not €20 for free postage. The Pitralon is like our 'add-on items'. They won't sell it to you unless you spend €20. Postage will be shown at check out.

Edit: I get €6.25 postage for a similar order (not sure which Old Spice)
Yep, there is €6 delivery surcharge for orders under €29 so £21 delivered.

Back
Top Bottom