Why can't I get as close a shave with DE as cartridge?

I've watched tonnes of videos and feel like I've got a good technique now, and I'm doing 3 passes, but I'm still leaving behind quite a bit of stubble, which I wasn't doing with the cartridge. I suspect I was using a fair bit of pressure with the cartridge, and I'm using non on the EJ. Could this be the reason? Or is this a hardware issue? I've tried quite a big selection of blades ranging from feather to derby in terms of sharpness and found the same with all of them.

Cartridges do have two, three or more blades in the cartridge which are spaced to pick up what's missed by the lead blade in any gives sweep. Consider a pass with a three blade cartridge as a "three pass". That said, DE should be close ... I suspect angle. Just a slight adjustment in angle could well catch it just right for you.

That, or a razor with a greater blade exposure/gap. You can try a shim in your DE - just kitchen scissor the edges off an old blade (very carefully ... and dispose of the edges very carefully) and slip it underneath your blade next time you load up your DE.

Absolutely experiment with angles.

How long have you been DE shaving? Are your three passes all on the same plane or do you go with, across and against the grain?

This.

My shave is nothing like any videos I've watched, more a mix as to what suits me. It took a good 6 months to realise the patterns of passes I needed to do, only 2 is needed for me after all.

We often say to do a straight-up north/south pass followed by an east/west pass when folks are starting out. After a while, understanding beard map is more important: make a single north/south pass and assess - which parts of your face are still stubbly and in which direction is the stubble pointing? With that in mind, you can modify a single pass to follow all the curves, contours and weirdnesses.

I do keep mentioning the Gillette slide when folks say they don't get as close as they want or that there is always stubble remaining.

Here you go:

gillette_slide.jpg

My single pass shave, which is very effective ... especially with a single edge razor, is a "with the grain with a slide" above my jaw line and then "against the grain with a pluming effect/pattern" up my neck. One pass, done. Generally, I'll just do two passes with the grain over my whole face and neck, one simple, one with a slide.

When you're ready ... slant razor :D

All this no pressure stuff is fine with some really Aggressive Razors...Hey...That's the secret to using an Aggressive razor and a crazy sharp blade combo...Some milder razors require pressure...That it to say slightly pushing or squeezing the skin in front of the comb/blade...I was reading an interesting thread in another Forum recently and the subject of "No Pressure" and the general consensus was that it was the biggest thing that took folks up the wrong road through reading this in Forums...Some razors require some pressure in terms of how I just described it...No bones about it...Just experiment....You will know how much you can get away with through Trial & Error...:eek:

Another thing ...I used Cartridge Systems for most of my life...Modern Cartridge Systems are not very Aggressive compared to the older systems from the 70s..Moderns Systems thus allow the user to almost paint their face with the razor without any negative consequences....As Paul suggested ...Use a three or four pass system to set a groundwork for Self Discipline and set a system in place...Modern Cartridge Razors Don't require any Discipline and of course that's why they are very popular ...:D

Billy

Thanks for the advice chaps. Food for thought. Chris - I was letting the head of the razor do the work. I'm not being ginger with it; I'm just letting the weight of the head provide the pressure. When I brought out the cartridge to compare I noticed I was putting heaps of pressure on my skin with that, without even thinking.

All this no pressure stuff is fine with some really Aggressive Razors...Hey...That's the secret to using an Aggressive razor and a crazy sharp blade combo...Some milder razors require pressure...That it to say slightly pushing or squeezing the skin in front of the comb/blade
Billy

Yep, how much to bear down on certain areas takes some figuring out and more often than not adds another variable. Hard to expect something that weighs just a couple ounces to not need some help at times to keep it from skittering/skipping around. Injectors weigh almost nothing and require continuous assistance which is fine. Aggressive Old Type heads will mostly be stuck on short, light handles that do nothing to increase any pressure and instead makes that variable even more dangerous with a less forgiving head. You got a lotta bite but still need some bearing down in spots, which is tricky.

Using a heavy razor can help eliminate that part.....one that actually is heavy enough to cut by itself. Great not having to deal with the pressure thing, up to a point. Too heavy a razor can be bad if it messes up the shave in other ways like bite or balance.

By no pressure, do you mean the razor barely touches your face, or you're letting the weight do the work? Use the weight of the razor just don't press it on, plus your angle's probably off.

Unless I'm using a very heavy handle there's always a little pushing down all during my shave. Nothing major....a steadying thing mostly. Couple areas on my chin and jaw get special treatment and that's it. Just something more to learn.

Last edited:
Map your face,get to know the direction of growth,work out the best plan of attack,with the razor you have,prep like you have never prepped before,aim to get the growth down,with as few passes as possible.
If you get a comfortable 2/3 pass DFS,be happy!.
The more you strive for those BBS shaves,the further away they get.And Mr Irritation comes 'a' calling!.Then the more disillusioned you will become....
Strive to know your face,the prep,the angle of the razor you are using,what blades work best for you,how to make a lather that suits YOUR face,and IMO,the best way to get that growth down,with as few passes as possible!.
It WILL come!,and before you know it,you will be getting 2 - 2 1/2 pass BBS's,in no time...

And the thing that helped me the most?.......

Forget those Video's!,that is what worked for THEM,not YOU!,every face,and every growth is different....

Thanks so much guys. I think I've cracked it! I tried tonight and threw out all the lessons I'd learned from videos and mapped my face, and applied quite a bit of pressure, and et voila! Not BBS, but I have super sensitive skin, so didn't chase it, but most certainly as good as, if not better, than my cartridge days.
That's great...Things will just get better...That's a breakthrough ...:)
Billy

Back
Top Bottom