Whisk(e)y

Here's what Asda had with money off today - generally about a fiver off rrp:
Aberlour: £19.96
Isle of Jura: £21.43
Balvenie Signature: £24.98
Not very generous at all. You used to be able to rely on Asda to have Auchentoshan for under a tenner, but it was over £20 today. And so to Morrisons: nothing doing there either, which is surprising since they had loads of good offers last year (Laphroaig, Glenlivet 18yo, the MacAllan, Glenmorangie, all at enticing prices). Ardbeg was nearly £30. By this time I couldn't face Sainsburys, which isn't usually a happy hunting ground anyway, so no good tips for you at the moment, sorry gents.

Arrowhead said:
Here's what Asda had with money off today - generally about a fiver off rrp:
Aberlour: £19.96
Isle of Jura: £21.43
Balvenie Signature: £24.98
Not very generous at all. You used to be able to rely on Asda to have Auchentoshan for under a tenner, but it was over £20 today. And so to Morrisons: nothing doing there either, which is surprising since they had loads of good offers last year (Laphroaig, Glenlivet 18yo, the MacAllan, Glenmorangie, all at enticing prices). Ardbeg was nearly £30. By this time I couldn't face Sainsburys, which isn't usually a happy hunting ground anyway, so no good tips for you at the moment, sorry gents.

Appears to be a dearth of choice at supermarkets these days. What is going on?
My peat selection. I also have a Speyside selection, and a few others..but these are my main guzzles.

islay.jpg

Sainsburys currently have a fiver off the Ardbeg and Laphroiag ten year olds.

I love the Islay stuff, but if its turning into a session then I tend to switch to Powers/Jameson/Bushmills.

Although I am starting to get a bit of enjoyment out of Grouse and Bells.

Got a Jockanese wedding in Pit Lock (something) to go to in a month or two. Brother in law has mentioned a 40 year old Macallan in the hotel which sells for £40+ a glass.

It better mix well with Purple Froot Shoot or I'm not 'avin it.

joe mcclaine said:
Got a Jockanese wedding in Pit Lock (something) to go to in a month or two. Brother in law has mentioned a 40 year old Macallan in the hotel which sells for £40+ a glass.

It better mix well with Purple Froot Shoot or I'm not 'avin it.

I'm always convinced stuff like that £40 drink is for American and Japanese tourists.

But if the froot shoot doesn't make it taste like heaven then whack a quadruple measure into a pint glass and top up with Irn Bru and ice.

Two distillery visits have resulted in a newly replenished drinks cabinet:

Isle of Arran 10 YO bottled at 46%
Isle of Arran 12 YO bottled at a whacking 58.3% (the bourbon cask finished version)
Bladnoch 17 YO bottled at 46%
Bladnoch 19 YO bottled at 55%

If anyone feels the urge to visit Arran, I heartily recommend a visit to the Lochranza distillery. We were lucky enough to get a tour guide to ourselves who entertained us royally and was very generous with the samples. Considering that they're a very young outfit, the product is exceptionally promising, and seems to be earning a good reputation. Bladnoch is a tumbledown place by comparison, which seems to be more of a storage operation for the time being as the distillery was mothballed in the early '90s and has only just released an 8 YO firewater under the new management. The old stock is fine stuff though. There are acres of bonded warehouses storing casks from the likes of Caol Ila, Cragganmore, Dufftown, Invergordon and quite a few more besides.

also got 3 bottles of Japanese Whiskey, that was being sent to a Whiskey fair in Sweden a few years ago, the shipment was damaged and myself and some of the lads were given a few bottles, it is really nice. was surprised as i had never heard of japanese whiskey...

will look at the name of it when i get in from work......

Steve

Lots of Japanese whiskeys are quite true to the Scottish and Irish styles that they're modelled on - simply because they invested massively in getting their distillers trained up "here" - same applies to some Indian whiskeys - but spotting a diamond in the coal mine that is the Indian drinks market is easier said than done.

They're even making whiskey in [img=http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/index.html]Wales[/img] now ffs

sunburyboy93 said:
Hi,

Anyone heard of "Knockando" whiskey, i have an unopened bottle of 29yr old single malt.....
i have had it 11 years, got it as a freebie from work.... :D

f04771_6.jpg

Steve

It is terrible stuff, your probably just as well pouring it down the drain.......but if you don't want it to go to waste I'm sure I could help you out. :D

Seriously that looks nice....I think you can store it more or less indefinitely if the bottle is sealed. Whiskey/whisky is not like wine which continues to change when bottled. All the character of whisky is taken on during maturation in the wooden cask, once bottled the stuff remains stable and unchanging as far as I know.

Boab said:
I prefer a tunnocks teacake :lol:

BE6D5C09-BA15-6684-B149564CE06A73D2.jpg

I'll get my coat

I prefer the buzz that can be had with <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.smallbatch.com//" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.smallbatch.com//</a><!-- m --> or even better with <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blantonsbourbon.com/Bourbons.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blantonsbourbon.com/Bourbons.aspx</a><!-- m -->

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom