Whisk(e)y

Caol Ila was the first Islay malt I ever tried. I believe the majority of the production finds its way into blends nowadays. I pretty much go along with Hando on that selection, but my memories of Springbank are hazy and need refreshing, a happy thought. Ardbeg has been a firm favourite for quite a while, especially in the Uigeadail version, but still nothing beats or even comes particularly close to Lagavulin.

Picked up a 200ml bottle of Big Peat today.

Enjoying it with a Romeo Y Julieta. Life is good.

Never had a blended malt, I think that is the term, before. A mix of Ardberg, Caol Ila, Bowmore and Port Ellen. It's lovely. The 200ml won't last the night.

I do enjoy a nice peaty malt and this is delivering, although with a bit more subtlety than my go to Laphroaig. The label is hideous and at £12.99 for 200ml there is no way I would have bought it without tasting. I'm not too experienced with whisky but I tried four different whisky's in the shop and the guy kept taking the tiny plastic cup from me and refilling it with something else - is this normal practice? I remained polite but by the time I'm on whisky no.4 in the same tiny plastic cup I'm thinking the few mils of whisky in there have quite a bit of the last three whisky's there too. If it was tea tasting I'd be horrified. Next time I won't pretend he knows better than me and ask for a new cup - I struggle with the thought of a plastic cup never mind trying four nice whisky's from the same cup unrinsed.

Anyway, if you get the chance I'd recommend you are not put off by the stupid label or the notion of blended single malts. It's lovely. At 46% it's a nice balance of strength and subtlety. I've never been a fan of Ardberg but it works well here.

Rev-O said:
My brother Joel runs <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://caskstrength.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://caskstrength.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

He's a big fan of the Japanese stuff (as well as the Scottish, of course) and has an amazing collection, easily worth a four figure sum.

The website's well worth a visit; if your say hello do mention that you know me and you'll get an even warmer than usual welcome.

Small world! I've been subscribing to his blog for a good few months now and find it very interesting. Its one of the few whisky blogs that gets regularly updated.

My 15 year old darkest Bowmore is running down and I've been reading this thread pondering it's replacement.

Back
Top Bottom