Which photography forum and SD or SDHC?

Can anyone please recommend a UK photography forum, what are the best ones?

As far as memory cards go I understand that SDHC basically means more storage capacity ie 32gb over SD, for a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 what would be a good class speed and would I notice the difference of a class 6 card over a class 2 on a compact?

Thanks

7dayshop or mymemory are excellent...ive just bout a class 10 32gb for around £20....u probably wont see a difference in actual taking a set of photos but transferring them to pc will

simmo3801 said:
Oh and which brands of SD or SDHC cards are considered best. San Disk are readily available at Costco but I'm not sure which class of cards they have.

They're mostly Class 2 in CostCo - occasionally there's a Class 4.

Only up to Class 6 actually exists in the SDA's standards definition, marketers of course like bigger numbers and even they can see the arithmetical relationship between Class 2,4,6 and project it onwards.

I'm using a Samsung Plus (says it's Class 6, but it's by far the fastest card I've laid hands on - benchmarked by me using CrystalDiskMark 3 at above 15MB/sec), and it's reputed to be ruggedised too)

I don't frequent any photography forums, so can't offer anything there.

Regarding memory cards, if you have a camera that is capable of shooting HD video and you intend to do that, get a class 6 card, anything less and things might get a bit jerky.

Ian

I always have 2 cards, as they can fail from time to time. If your doing more photos than video. 2x 8gb will be fine, so in effect not having all eggs in one basket. Plus its cheaper!! Dont get a memory card off ebay (probably fake). Try 7dayshop. Www.talkphotography is excellent. Or try digitalslr magay

i'd recommend this forum:

http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/

im a member over there.

and for SDHC cards, i love the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme models. I use the CF variants in my SLR's

Just FYI, the latest and greatest SD standard is SDXC.

SDHC cards comply with version 2.0 of the SD specification which limits capacity to 32GB

SDXC is based on version 3.0 of the SD standard and allows for capacities up to 2TB and introduces a new filesystem format for supporting this format. My understanding is that a camera that supports SDXC will also happily use older versions too. However, an SDXC card will not work in a camera that does not support the SDXC standard.

For what it's worth I would love to know why anyone other than a pro would want a 32GB card I myself have been a keen photographer for many years obviously from 35mm then the slow change over to digital, I have never seen the need for anything above a 2GB card, even on a maximium resolution that adds up hundreds of photo's on your card, now you wouldn't even dream of putting a roll of film in your camera with about 2000 photo's to develop so why would you want to put a 32GB card that holds quite a few thousand images, I would say we nearly always as photographers only take a few shots before want to download them on to our PC then we usually delete what's left on the card anyway, for me it's a total waste of money and space, it's like buying a people carrier when you live on your own, and saying well in the future I may give a few people a lift, other than being a proffessional photographer I really dont see the need?

Pugh I was of the same opinion as you initially. I've bought an 8GB Samsung Plus so I'll see how that goes. If I find I'm taking a lot of video I'll prob buy a bigger card.

Back
Top Bottom