Which Phone for Photography

I've got a Nokia N8, it does the job.

Then again, I know less than bugger all about photography.

Mine's mainly used for catching the missus getting into the bath and that sort of stuff.

n1vlo said:
yea it has come along way...i collected minox bond type cameras...worked perfectly but a bugger either finding the film or trying to split a 36 mm film into 3 to load onto cannisters....nah ill stick with me canon g9
G9's a great little camera. I have got the G10 but they crammed to many pixels in it rendering it useless above 400 iso. Then canon launched the G11 and reduced the pixels down to 10mp, too late for me by then though as I already spent my money on the G10.

Father Ted said:
joe mcclaine said:
I've got a Nokia N8, it does the job.

I find in a lot of circumstances it [the N8] over exposes pictures. This can be rectified even with free software like Picassa, but I would rather not have to do this.

I wouldn't recognise an over exposed picture if it kicked me in the plums, so I'll take your word for it.

OK, Im probably asking too much of a camera lashed to a mobile phone - this one is taken underground
ffb7e284.jpg

Now probably the issue here is flash light bouncing back off the water droplets in the air, but given I was about half a mile under the Yorkshire countryside and quite wet I didnt fancy taking an expensive camera, so phone in a ziplock bag in my inside pocket it was.

This was taken during daylight and I am at a loss to understand why the N8 has exposed it as it has, as there was nothing to flood the phone with light.
628c4f6f.jpg

The final one was taken in broad daylight on a sunny September aftenoon in Morcambe - outdoors, good light, flash didnt fire.
c1db40e.jpg

It seem with my N8 when the flash fires the resultant photo is too bright and needs much buggering about in photo editing software to correct. But then I suppose as someone else has said, I would rather have an average picture of something, than no picture at all. Today I have been mostly taking photographs of my bruised belly.

stop posting not safe for work images in the wrong forums, some of us look at this site from work, I wont ask nicely again!

The tennis one wasn't the issue Dave. The one with someones arse hanging out was.

Hi I use a Nokia N8 for picks of my razors and general photos,
but it is verry limited.

In dull light with no sun,forget it ,and don't bother with the zoom for close up shots with the flash it's only going to go badly, all I do is move closer to the subject ,untill it cannot focus, then move back untill it does focus,then try with the flash, if naff then try without flash,and if nothing doing ,switch on a light And start all over again, should get a better camera to be honest :idea:

Dragging this bad boy out of the thread graveyard.

Saw the Nokia 808 on-line yesterday.

Now THAT's what you call a camera phone.

In the end I plumped for a Sony Cybershot HX9V. Its rather good and pocket sized (its smaller than of a pack of fags). The optics are pretty good and it runs at 16MP which unless you are taking huge pictures is good enough I think.
I decided rather than compromise with a camera phone just to spend the cash on a reasonable compact camera and I cant say I have been upset by the decision.

Diving off the Wave - Blackpool by Micrashed, on Flickr

From what I gather the iPhone is probably the best of the bunch at the moment, but for that money you could get a decent compact or maybe even a second hand DSLR. Personally I only use my phones camera for snap shots or for reference.
Regardless how good mobile phone cameras have got, they are still restricted by the laws of physics, the more pixels you squeeze onto tiny sensors the more problems you are going to run into with noise, color rendition and low light performance, and although software can help to compensate, this in its self has its own problems.
Choose what ever camera you feel comfortable with and fits your needs.

Back
Top Bottom