Which one as a 1st shaving soap ?

I 've been shaving only wih shaving creams and facelathering so far, so I fancy a change and was thinking of giving the shaving soaps a shot.

Which one would you propose as a first one to try ?

(How about them for facelathering ??)

Make sure you rub it into a wet face then spend thirty seconds lathering on your face. One of the first soaps I tried but because of the lack of experience I expected lather to appear straight off the stick. It won't

Tabac or Boots Freshwood bowl are also among the very best and easiest. Tabac us less than a Tenner with a bowl I think; Boots about £3 in plastic dish

Palmolive is a great suggestion but if you are going to be shaving lots of 'beard' or several days growth, go for something like Tabac which is also easy to lather.

L' Occitane Cade. (as well as the ones above)

Doddle to lather, nice scent, and almost every city has a L'Occitane store so easily acquired.

ian

Palmolive shave stick. For less farting around at shave time, unwrap two sticks (can you stretch to a whole quid for two from Tesco/Asda? :icon_lol:), grate them like cheese and stuff firmly into a wee bowl. Just to make sure the flakes are compacted down and blended together sufficiently, I add a dribble of boiling water from the kettle which softens the soap up a bit. Let dry and bingo, a 100g soap cake perfectly fitted to a bowl of your choice. I've got mine in an old blue and white Cornishware sugar bowl. Lathers like nobody's business.

One to move onto after you've mastered that is Mitchell's Wool Fat but Cella is also a great latherer. Not nearly as good value as the Palmolive stick is the Wilkinson Sword stick but at £2 it's hardly a bank breaker and has a very slick protective lather. I've heard you should avoid the Wilkinson Sword bowl as this is different stuff entirely.

Another vote for the Palmolive stick. I either use it plain, or rub one side of the face with Palmolive stick and the other side with Erasmic tallow formula stick and then mix them face-lathering.

Can't believe no-one's mentioned La Toja shave stick.

A bit harder to get hold of being Spanish but lathers really well; similar to Tabac stick.
Smaller than the titan Tabac; same size as Palmolive and Boots sticks, so is great for travel.
Also I think the holder is better/sturdier than Boots' so would make a great holder for a palmolive stick.

Tabac if you're on a budget (even though I think the smell is "off putting"), but Martin d' Candre if you're looking to go all in.

DR Harris is a good middle ground. Haven't tried Palmolive.

Back
Top Bottom