Which iphone, what contract?

Fellonblackdays said:
OP I recommend you skip the Iphone and go on to Gods level and get a Samsung Galaxy S4.

the iphones are good but i agree with above comment.

google are bringing out there own version soon with vanilla andriod (bassically nothing samsung on it at all)

and updates direct from google so its a very good deal

I'm an Apple hater and sit on the Android side of the fence but the same applies to any phone...

Check out one of the older models (4 or 4s) in unlocked form then look for a SIM only deal. Often it is cheaper to pay the lump sum for the phone and get a cheaper SIM only contract than it is to get the phone for free and pay upwards of £40 per month, considering you generally have to take out a 2 year contract to get a free handset.

2 years ago I got a Samsung Galaxy S2 free on a £35pm contract and after using a bill monitor service recently found that over the last year I'd only used around 10% of my entitlement. I have a work phone so I barely use my personal minutes. To make money back on newer phones, operators usually offer a minimum contract of around £30pm which often has far more mins, texts and data than most people would need. I have unlimited texts and I text a lot but barely get through 500 per month, probably use around 100mins per month and about 200mb of data (only use it to read news and emails and use Wifi where possible) so for me, SIM only deals are the only realistic options for my needs.

I suggest getting the phone offline - as in, from Applie direct. Then get a SIM only contract or a 30-day rolling tariff. I can recommend Vodafone. Their 12 month SIM only packages are superb value for money. If you can get them via Quidco you will earn some cashback too. This will work out cheaper in the long term...

Definitely go for a 30 day contract with 3 to try out their network in the areas where you are most likely to be in. But be warned their network has frequent outages. My iPad SIM is through them and it isn't the most reliable.

Not necessarily. In my case with EE:

£43 x 18 months + £0 = £774
Handset price from Apple = £599

Leaves £175 difference for line rental. I haven't looked, but I don't think you can match unlimited minutes, texts, 3GB data and 4G/LTE band for under £10 a month (working from 18 months). Of course, you're not tied in for 18 months this way, but most SIM-only deals with any value are 12 month contracts rather than rolling monthly.

Burgundy said:
Not necessarily. In my case with EE:

£43 x 18 months + £0 = £774
Handset price from Apple = £599

Leaves £175 difference for line rental. I haven't looked, but I don't think you can match unlimited minutes, texts, 3GB data and 4G/LTE band for under £10 a month (working from 18 months). Of course, you're not tied in for 18 months this way, but most SIM-only deals with any value are 12 month contracts rather than rolling monthly.

I can :icon_razz:

My SIM is 12month and with the cashback I received worked out to less than £8/month. I'm on the 1GB a month, unlimited text, unlimited minutes tariff.

Going to chuck in a grenade-

Take a look at Nokia or HTC windows phones.

I've got a HTC windows phone and I love it. The big problem for me with iphones is you are locked into apple products, the camera is seriously rubbish ( I have taken photos with my HTC and printed them to near A2 size and they are amazing- Iphone struggles to get beyond 7x5)

But the biggest problem for me is- how come a modern so called smartphone has no removable memory??? CRAP

I can pop a 32 gb card (or bigger) into my HTC and easily share data across any platform without the 'synching' crap

Iphone sucks. It's a one way street that only fixes problems with each update but never improves- unlike Andoid and Windows phone, which are constantly being made more capable.

I work in the photo industry, and we make the sign of the cross whenever a customer walks in with an Iphone !

Ok Ok, I know I'm going to get flamed- but truly there are really good alternatives out there.

Check them out before you jump!

Very helpful everyone, if a little confusing!

I need to save the pennies so think I'm going to go with the iphone 4 (if I can find a cheap handset) and avoid monthly contracts. Unless anyone has seen a brilliant contract deal for the older iphones?

Thanks again to all.

Not sure what you'd call excellent, but I got the iPhone 4 for free, £26 a month for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and Internet. With T-Mobile.

Ok, longtime Android user, I recently switched to the iPhone 5

I can't comment on plans, as UK plans are very different to the ones in France.
(I pay 17 quid/month for unlimited calls, unlimited texts, and 3GB of data, no contract)
The price does not include the subsided phone, so you have to buy it full price.

I chose the iPhone 5 over the 4/4S for several reasons, one is the lightning connector.
After 10 years of using the dock connector as standard, Apple has moved to a different and better connector, over time accessories for the old connector will fade away.

I've heard complaints about battery life, but I'm damn impressed by mine.
I get at least a full day out of it, most of the time 2 days, but when I'm working. (and bored) I spend a lot of time on the phone. (unlimited plans have that tendency)

Currently: 3 hours of use, and 22 hours on standby and 64% battery left.

it's an overal solid phone, runs nicely. The 4/4S will be a bit cheaper, but by how much, and how long will you be using it? I wait about 6 months after release to buy any new gen tech, since often there are some teething problems. (antenna gate anyone?)
So waiting for the 5S/6 is not really an option, since it's apparently delayed, so say a release in 6 months, with my 6 months that's one year for me.

You said you wanted an iPhone, so I'm not going to suggest any other phone ;)
But get the 5, it's pretty future proof for a few years.
Apple still does updates of iOS for the 3GS, which came out 4 years ago.

Just my 2p,

M.

I'm probably older than a lot of you on here, but no all I'm sure. My history with mobiles starts in a company Sierra in 1985. A BT fitted car phone cost IRO £2500.00. I out and out refused to have the portable with the car battery attached but in 1990 when the car was change an NEC car phone fitted was about £1600.00. Then came the first generation of "Pocket size phones" and I was a Nokia man on 500 mins a month for ages. It's only been about 4 years since I went with the early lot of smart phones and being retired 500 minutes will last me several years, and yes I know it's very different when you are working. Our travel phone is a Nokia 6310i which is as new, we arrive somewhere local shop local sim and Robert is uncle, use it and bin it. In a lot of Europe you can top up in shop in €5.00 increments and usually €10.00 on line so it's very user friendly. In some countries the whole string of ID and the restrictions on keeping the number are hard work, I've just this last trip sorted out a way to keep the Spanish Number without having to top up very 60 or 90 days.

Back
Top Bottom