Which iphone, what contract?

I'm thinking about getting one of those iphones (I think they might catch on).:icon_cool:

Can anyone recommend the best value model, network and contract? I just need the basics really.

Have a chat with the apple store guys, they will give you suggestions based on your needs an price (they do all of the contracts in store). The bonus is they don't work on commission so there not interested in selling you something.

just got the iphone 5 from 3 mobile there 1 plan is £36 a month for:
2000 mins to any network
3000 txts
5000 3 to 3 mins
plus all you can eat data (unlimited )
cost £29 for iphone
contract is 2 years
you can also use the phone as a wifi hotspot to connect your laptop to internet

i was on o2 but the network kept dropping calls at least 2 or 3 times a day

I just joined t-mobile, and got the iPhone 4 (no need for Siri, or the iPhone 5) for 26 pound a month.

Unlimited texts and Internet, 500 minutes. Will do me more than fine.

Check out T Mobile, the full monty deals are good.

I have had every iPhone since the 2G and have had the 5 since release day. I own pretty much every Apple product available and it all matches, so I'm a huge Apple fan (despite previously being an exclusively Linux/Unix developer but I digress)
Anyway, STAY AWAY FROM THE IPHONE 5.

I am on the phone alot, average of about 3-4 hours a day and the damn thing drops signal constantly. I have even switched network twice to try and get away from it but no, it's the phone.
Get a 4s or wait until the 5s comes out, the 5 has terrible performance as an actual call making phone.

As a smartphone, however, it's still absolutely excellent and aesthetically its beautiful and light. Just utter crap for making calls.

Avionyx said:
I have had every iPhone since the 2G and have had the 5 since release day. I own pretty much every Apple product available and it all matches, so I'm a huge Apple fan (despite previously being an exclusively Linux/Unix developer but I digress)

I am on the phone alot, average of about 3-4 hours a day and the damn thing drops signal constantly. I have even switched network twice to try and get away from it but no, it's the phone.
Get a 4s or wait until the 5s comes out, the 5 has terrible performance as an actual call making phone.

As a smartphone, however, it's still absolutely excellent and aesthetically its beautiful and light. Just utter crap for making calls.

I've had no problems with my 5 for signal! Go make a Genius Bar appointment and let them run some tests. First restore and set it up as new using iTunes.

Suggestion. I use mine for photos and as a basic computer. I also have a lot of apps. I find that after about 1000 photos and a book or two and a lot of apps I receive a tuning out of memory message. (Have to then download photos). Currently out of 13+ I have under 2 left.
My advise is get the iPhone with more than standard memory.

Avionyx said:

no probs with 3 on iphone 5,wife has no probs with 4s on 3

my 4s on o2 was a joke droping calls all the time

apple employee told me that the ariel problem on the 4 was never really fixed properly
they used software to try and fix a hardware problem

I've an iPhone 5. Free phone loads of minutes, unlimited texts loads of data 35£ per month from utility warehouse.

I've had the 3GS, 4s now 5 I love them.

I'm always happy to be a phone behind but have been lucky and upgraded at right time.

If you already use iTunes and maybe have an ipad then an iPhone makes sense.

I won't get dragged into the android debate but the iPhone does everything I need

Good camera
Radio and mp3 player in office
Hifi at home
Phone
Internet
Some good apps and games

A good piece of kit

Get the 4s or the 5 rather than the 4. I'd want to make sure that the handset can adequately handle iOS updates.

If you live in an urban area, and you think you'll end up using the Internet to a reasonable degree, it may be worth getting the 5 on a 4G/LTE contract. I'm with EE on a £43 per month 18-month contract: unlimited texts and calls, 3GB data and the phone was free. That said, the sales assistant did screw up and offered me a deal he shouldn't have.

In reality, you should be fine on a standard data service plan. As 3G speeds are perfectly adequate.

As a slight side issue - and especially for iPhone 4 owners with poor coverage, if you are experiencing poor coverage at home you can get a signal booster (technically called a FemtoCell) free of charge from most operators.

It uses your broadband connection to connect you to the network.

I live next to a river and suffer from a crap signal on all networks so I have FemtoCells from T-Mobile (for my iPhone 5), Three (for SWMBO's iPhone 4) and Vodafone (for my works HTC) and all give me a brilliant boost with my Virgin Mobile 100Mbps cable broadband.

None of them cost me a bean! Just call up to cancel your contract due to bad coverage and these, generally unadvertised, things just appear out of the woodwork.

David

I took the wife's iPhone 3GS off her hands when she upgraded. Rang Tesco (they use O2 network) got 1 month rolling contract so I can pull out at any time.

300 minutes, 500 Gb Internet and unlimited text £12.50 a month....

Cannot tell the difference in service between Tesco and O2, great coverage, 3G in the town and cheap as chips.......

Find a good old iPhone from a friend, away you go. Mine needed new battery and charging point, went to one of those little shops on the street and £30 later new screen, new charging point, new battery......

Stay one or two steps behind cutting edge and save those pennies!

Yeah that's what I do. Happy to get tried and rested not rushed to market first. Mine is a rolling contract but I'm with virgin. For £12 I get 1200 mins (only ever use about 200), 3000 texts and 1GB data. Only the data gets close to the limit bit still tend to have about 200MB left.

That's what I used to be on, with O2, a rolling contract. I got unlimited texts, 300 minutes and 1gb of data. I went over my minutes once, but got close to the data fairly often.

I paid 26 a month for that. It was originally 21 pound a month for 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of data, but upgraded to 1GB of data for the extra fiver. Served me well for a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom