Which 2nd Razor to buy?

When you do buy a Fatboy (and you will), it would be a lot cheaper to buy a decent used one and get it replated yourself if you really need it to be in mint condition.

All of the vintage razors have date codes stamped on them. Just to add to the nostalgia, look out for one that was made in your birth year and quarter.

1989 Q4 doesn't scream 'vintage' to me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A Gillette Black Beauty...even if it is only to look at :) it is adjustable shaves well, also get a nice one for £30

Good advice,

The BB has a similar head design as a Slim and the long handle's a nice change of pace in my rotation. Always best buying a Gillette adjustable from a person who knows it shaves well with no issues. Easy to miss uneven safety bars or the adjuster doesn't work right. Pricewise they are usually very reasonable.

Martin

This sounds like good advice, the stiff brush aids loading more soap on, and I'm starting to feel like (that's) the way to crack this soap, really heavy loading.
It's a technique I learned from a former TSR poster who lives around 15 miles from me here in Norfolk. Our water is very hard and this is the only technique he or I have found to work reliably with MWF here. Mst videos argue for soakig the soap and using a fully-hydrated brush, but, with hard water, you need to scrape off the maximum possible amount of soap with the minimum addition of water in order to be able to get away with using some of the soap to react with the minerals in the water (thereby forming dry, airy froth that won't form stable lather yet still have enough soap left on the brush to be able to form dry lather which seems to be able to accept incremental additions of water without collapsing.

Sadly, the chap in question deleted all his shaving videos and grew a beard, so I can't show you the original, but it was, as I previously commented, based on the idea of soaking the brush, letting it drip, then gently shaking it vertically to shed excess water. Once it stops dripping when being gently shaken as described, it can be used on the dry soap. What's important is to work the dry froth back onto the soap, as the addition of extra product into the froth seems to reduce the influence of that froth which otherwise collapses what at first seems to be a good quality lather.

Back
Top Bottom