where to put razors n blades safely from kids?

My good friend for many years now is married with a 7yr old and 1 set of twins..boy n girl...I offered him a safety razor n blades to help him steer away from the pricey gillette Mach3/Fusion blades..his response was "where do I keep them safely from my kids in my bathroom?...any thoughts/ideas?

Blades

Hiya,

I'll keep maybe 8-10 used blades under my tongue. Heh, of course I clean em off first. That way I'm always able to perform the razor blade/thread trick whenever the occasion presents itself. I don't have any kids, but that also seems like a good place to keep blades from little hands.

For you English guys, that's an illusion where a bunch of razor blades are swallowed, along with a long thread or piece of string. After a certain amount of discomfort, the thread is brought forth with all the blades hanging from it (equally spaced of course).

Martin

"I keep mine on the top shelf of my bathroom cabinet"

Same here for loaded razors. Too high up for them to reach hopefully. New blades kept in the bedroom and used blades in a tin high up in the bathroom cabinet also.

More for my safety really, in case I mis-handle things carelessly! :

New blades: Top shelf of the bathroom cabinet.
Razor: In its stand on the windowsill, for now.*
Used blades: A homemade "Sharps container" consisting of a old empty jar that used to contain jalapenos, lid superglued on, thin slot cut in the metal lid. Also stored in the cabinet.

*I have a little baby on the way soon but he'll need to get to at least 6 or 7 years before he can reach the high windowsill.

CanucksTraveller said:
*I have a little baby on the way soon but he'll need to get to at least 6 or 7 years before he can reach the high windowsill.

That is what you think now. They climb , they move stuff to climb on so they can reach stuff. They are ingenius and they have perseverance. They have insatiable curiosity and want to know what is up there that they are not allowed to reach.

I would keep them out of reach. They can climb and grab stuff but there are just as many dangerous objects in the kitchen so unless he keeps his kitchen knives under lock and key I don't see any point going to any particularly special measures. The other advice I would give him is to shave in front of his kids. Don't make the razor and blades in to some taboo area of life because that way they are bound to be curious. I have let my five year old 'shave' with lather and a bladeless razor a few times. Each time I explained that with the blade in it is dangerous so if he wants a go he should ask me to take it out. That way he has satisfied his curiosity and now just sees razors as a normal part of life.

Pig Cat said:
I would keep them out of reach. They can climb and grab stuff but there are just as many dangerous objects in the kitchen so unless he keeps his kitchen knives under lock and key I don't see any point going to any particularly special measures. The other advice I would give him is to shave in front of his kids. Don't make the razor and blades in to some taboo area of life because that way they are bound to be curious. I have let my five year old 'shave' with lather and a bladeless razor a few times. Each time I explained that with the blade in it is dangerous so if he wants a go he should ask me to take it out. That way he has satisfied his curiosity and now just sees razors as a normal part of life.
This! ;)

I did make a topic on this a while back: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5723</a><!-- m -->

Max

5 year old and 4 year old not a problem it's the 1.5 years old that the nosiest,probably because she's a girl
but lucky can't reach the bathroom cabinet hopefully for a long time.
but wouldn't be surprised if she had stacked anything she could find to reach it though

This is a great topic for those of us with kids about.

I keep them placed high and out of reach but still find my kids playing with some of them .

Back
Top Bottom