Where should I stick it?

I'm getting my first straight razor in a couple of weeks (by Drew Dick), and I'm starting to worry about where to keep it. My first inclination is to keep it in the shower room, but my wife turns it into a rain forest after she showers.

How dangerous is it for the blade to be exposed to humidity for an hour or so? Where do others keep theirs?

I do have blade oil at the ready.

Steve, if you plan on using the razor regularly then oil is not really necessary - but will do no harm. Just as important as not storing in a moist or steamy place is the drying after use - use toilet tissue or a microfibre cloth and try not to get the tang/pivot area wet as this is difficult to dry and will lead to rust underneath the scales.

The first thing I do, when finished with the shave, clean the blade and wipe it of with a pice of toilet paper. Then aftershave and so on. Let it rest open for an hour, in my storing place, to get rid of the moist. Never had any problems with rust.
For long time storage using Camellia oil or Ballistol

I don't know if Drew is going to include a box or anything, but I bought a leather case from Executive Shaving to keep it in my drawer. I've put an eye hook on my computer desk so I can attach my strop and sit while doing all the laps, concentrating on technique. I'm getting a strop from James at OSP, and he's kindly offered to include a beginner's strop for me to practice on. I'm really excited about this. I found those silica packs at Amazon and I've ordered a few.

I don't know if Drew is going to include a box or anything, but I bought a leather case from Executive Shaving to keep it in my drawer. I've put an eye hook on my computer desk so I can attach my strop and sit while doing all the laps, concentrating on technique. I'm getting a strop from James at OSP, and he's kindly offered to include a beginner's strop for me to practice on. I'm really excited about this. I found those silica packs at Amazon and I've ordered a few.
Don't use the leather case too soon after use - you risk trapping moisture in. The suggestion to leave open for a few hours is good - if you have somewhere suitable. I have a wall mounted cabinet that well away from any prying fingers.

I store them in the bedroom closet. Closet already has humidifier containers in it, to keep clothes from smelling moldy. I have a storage box for my razors, in which I place silicon, gun cleaning clothes over the razors, and on top of the cloth, I place several silicon packs (small) dry packs. After shaving I dry the blade well,, strop the blade, oil it up, and re-cover with all mentioned. Here in Thailand it can tend to be a humid climate, so hence all I do, never have had and problems.

Back
Top Bottom