Where do you get a good-quality strop

I'm thinking of getting another, slightly better strop, having come out of the first part of the learning curve. I was thinking in the price range £70-150. Any suggestions?

You could try PMing mikew he also has a shop on etsy called WaterhouseStrops. He also has a blog
http://mwaterhouseknives.blogspot.co.uk/

What kind - hanging or bench? Neil sometimes has a combination bench strop that has various leathers, felt, balsa etc., held on magnets and that can be used for pastes and diamond spray if you are into that. It would be best to pm him via his site for details.

Thanks chaps - was thinking hanging strop preferably.

What do you gents think about the various leather options and width (no sniggering, please).

Persius said:
Thanks chaps - was thinking hanging strop preferably.

What do you gents think about the various leather options and width (no sniggering, please).

I have two hanging strops - a 3" and 2.5" and prefer the smaller width. The reason for this is that you have to do a partial x stroke with most blades and this seems to be the most effective. In terms of leathers, the bigger is a Latigo used for primary stropping after honing. It has a linen secondary so this gets used first after the honing and then leather. My 2.5" is kangaroo from Neil and is a finishing strop - used before and after shaving.

Take a look at the sticky at the top of the straight razor section and, of course, if you're thinking of buying one of Neil's then he will advise you depending on your requirements.

Back
Top Bottom