when to strop?

In the last few weeks I have bought 2 brand new razors. A Thiers Izzard and a Revisor.

Both were supplied ready to shave, the way they shave I can believe it!

But- my question is, the paperwork that came with both said not to strop until it had been used for 'several' shaves. Why is that? I've always stropped after and before using a razor (OK, older vintage razors) However it has to be said that both razors have been used for about 3 shaves each and feel fine.

What should I do? Don't want to wreck them.

Tony, I can see no reason for them to say this other than the one already mentioned. I would image a significant number of purchases are from people new to straights and who stropping technique is not quite there.

Whosthedaddy said:
A little before and little afterwards but would probably leave it for first shave. Certainly wouldn't strop before if fresh from honing.

I'm interested in why you don't strop directly after honing. There are various theories about what stropping actually achieves - including re-alignment of the edge after shaving and burnishing the bevel. After honing is the only time I use the full range of strops i.e. including webbing and various leathers - from then on I use a cordovan finishing strop before shaving and a kangaroo strop afterwards. The roo strop has some neatsfoot oil in it that adds a slight coating to the edge before the razor is put away.

So it seems to me that if you are not stropping after honing, you are missing the burnishing part and the general cleaning effect that cotton/linen has. I'm always amazed at the amount of 'colour' that webbing strops pick up - I assume it is microscopic swarf particles after honing - but in any event i'd rather leave it on the strop than my face.

Slightly off topic but is Mink Oil anything like Neatsfoot Oil?
Or is Neatsfoot closer to the conditioning paste from Dovo etc?

Unless you know what Dovo put into their conditioning paste, I suspect no-one can answer that part of your question. As for mink oil - Wikipedia tells me it comes from mink fat whereas neatsfoot oil is rendered from the shin bones and hooves of cattle. Whether that makes it similar is beyond my desire to research at the moment.

Unless you know what Dovo put into their conditioning paste, I suspect no-one can answer that part of your question. As for mink oil - Wikipedia tells me it comes from mink fat whereas neatsfoot oil is rendered from the shin bones and hooves of cattle. Whether that makes it similar is beyond my desire to research at the moment.

Don't ask me how that happened.

Back
Top Bottom