What's your most expensive and infuriating shaving gear - that doesn't work?

There are some products I've bought that just do not live up to the hype and outlay - so for me, the most expensive combination of under-performers has to be a Cobra Classic, used to remove Mitchell's Wool Fat applied with one of the TSR limited edition brushes. OK MWF is not expensive - but the brush and razor were - and if I could use the razor with any speed without risking severe blood loss, I might be able to finish a shave before the lather disappears.

Perhaps the Futur. Always get a great shave from it, but takes effort and frustration as the head is just too damned big IMO. Sits quietly at the back of the limited collection.

I like MWF but it dursn't like me. Gets me a bit hot above the collar but lathers a dream and slick as snail shit.

The biggest disappoint for me would have to be the amount of money I've laid out over the years on various vintage Gillettes. Loved the look of them all and so wanted them to work for me plus I tried so darn hard. Rocket HD, #58, fat heavy-bottom Tech, Rhodium Rocket TV, Red Tip Rocket, Slim Adjustable and Fatboy. My EJ outperforms them all and my trusty 34c outperforms that. I wish it weren't the case, especially with yon gorgeous #58 and Rocket HD but no dice nor joy so all sold on except the Tubster & Tech but their time will come.

<sigh>

I don't know about infuriating, but the PILS razor is so mild I can only use it when I want to make sure I have plenty of stubble for my next shave. I often read that it take time to find the correct angle etc, but I've never gotten more than a pretty good shave. But for some reason it is enjoyable to use, go figure!

I'm pretty happy with everything I've bought. Including MWF, but then I'm in a soft water area.
If I had to choose, it would be my iKon slant. It's not bad, it's just no better than my merkur slant which was significantly cheaper

Back
Top Bottom