What would people recommend as a replacement for XPEC?

I have been a great admirer of the scented formulation of XPEC and am keenly awaiting the reformulated version.

In the meantime as I am running out of my stock, can someone recommend a similiar quality cream?

I have been wondering about ABC (Antica Barbiera Colla) but open to other recommendations.

Best,

Dave M

dave_in_gva said:
I have been a great admirer of the scented formulation of XPEC and am keenly awaiting the reformulated version.

In the meantime as I am running out of my stock, can someone recommend a similiar quality cream?

I have been wondering about ABC (Antica Barbiera Colla) but open to other recommendations.

Best,

Dave M

ABC is very good.

As for Xpec - there is lots of it about, the unscented version, that is. I guess you'd have to talk to the stock-pilers via BST and a ridiculously high offer.

AoS is VG. There are lots of them, indicated by high prices, as you've discovered with Xpec. None are as good, of course.

Google 'Top 10 Shaving Creams' for ideas.

ABC is very good indeed, I received mine yesterday from Italy, great lather and wonderful scent but left me with some irritation (I have very sensitive skin). I'll be listing it in on the BST section tonight.

Stavros said:
ABC is very good indeed, I received mine yesterday from Italy, great lather and wonderful scent but left me with some irritation (I have very sensitive skin). I'll be listing it in on the BST section tonight.

Thanks Stavros. I'm in Switzerland but will keep an eye out.

Dave

Thanks all. I'm in touch with ABC who can ship to Switzerland directly.

To be honest I've come to Xpec shortly after getting into DE shaving and after a short trial of some TOBS creams. XPEC was so much better I've never looked back, nor felt the need to experiment with something else. Now filling the XPEC shoes with something else - even if only for a relatively short while as the XPEC reformulation is supposed to be out "soon" - is both a tall order and a good opportunity to broaden my cream horizons.

Been doing a bit more digging and other soaps and creams I am considering:

Razorock XXX soap
Institut Karite soap
Mitchells Wool Fat soap
Truefitt & Hill 1805 cream
Barrister and Mann Seville (is this cream or soap?)
ABC

Keen to hear some thoughts,

Dave

dave_in_gva said:
Razorock XXX soap
Institut Karite soap
Mitchells Wool Fat soap
Truefitt & Hill 1805 cream
Barrister and Mann Seville (is this cream or soap?)
ABC

Keen to hear some thoughts,

Dave

I don't see anything in your list that comes anywhere near Xpec. You'd need to stay with creams and aim at the high end.

You've listed good products but just not Xpec-standard - nothing is!

I think it was called Xpec but she has now had to change the name of the company as well as the formulation. The new version has been due out "soon" for a very long time - which is why we stock piled. If only I could remember where I stashed my tubs!!

Oh! Italy, of course.

dave_in_gva said:
I have been a great admirer of the scented formulation of XPEC

can someone recommend a similiar quality cream?

[/quote
Hi Dave,

You might look at the J. Peterman 1903 cream. It ain't XPEC but it's better than the usual cream performance wise for sure. Real classy scent. Comes in a huge tub and needs a Yankee buddy for the shipping part, sad to say. That's what some forum members do for their monkeys.

There's some soaps that equal XPEC. The IK is excellent, with great post shave care and plenty of cushion and slip. I have heard the cream isn't as good. There was a time when that was mostly all I used was IK for a while. The Old Safari soap is pretty darn good also, and not too pricey for what you get. MWF is right up there as well.

Then you got the C&S line and those soaps perform great. Certainly the equal of XPEC. Those are expensive partly because of the scent and you had better like how they smell.

One of the big things regarding XPEC is that it's about as slick as a top tier soap, which is unusual to find in a cream.

Martin

I don't know about replacement, but a VERY good soft soap is Sapone da Barba Vegetale alla Mandorla. It's not easy to find, but there is a source on Italian eBay that ships very quickly. Absolutely wonderful almond aroma and great lather.

3WSA4tP.jpg

you can get a taste from Garry's sample shop:
http://www.sampleshop.blogspot.com/
ciao
~

I've just joined the XPEC fan club after trying a sample of the scented version kindly donated by a member of this parish. I can truly say that it knocked off my socks - boy, this thing is good!
My skin reacted a little by going red but this disappeared after 5 minutes and I just don't like the scent so I'd be inclined to go for the unscented version.

I was watching Traditional Shaving Evangelist talking about his 5 top soaps and he names Acqua di Parma, MdC, Saponificio Varesino, i Coloniali Mango Oil and St. James of London while dismissing XPEC as overpriced and poorly packaged. Even though I respect TSE's comments I'm not sure I agree.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ChPVymG6g[/video]

Question: Is this the top of the heap? I know there have been a few other creams recommended on this thread but I'm thinking of those that have tried XPEC and other recently released soaps. There seems to be some loved-by-everyone soaps recently released like Catie's Bubbles and Soap Commander, so I'm wondering how XPEC compares to them.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom