What will you buy in 2018 ?

What shaving gear are you planning to buy in 2018?
Do you think you'll spend more or less than in previous years?
Are you on an efficiency drive and trying to buy the absolute bare minimum this year?
Do you have enough blades for if the 'Shavepocalypse' comes?

I can't see myself spending that much this year (famous last words) as I just got a DE89 for Christmas and before that got 4 x BBA PSB & 2 x BBA shaving cream tubs in the superb Black Friday BBA deal.

Though the rabbit hole remains just a click away, I only really envisage buying blades this year. Looking forward to my first DE89 shave and will stay with Astra SP's for a bit and then will consider trialling other blades.

I have a tuck of Feathers that came with the Jagger and a little box of Wilkinson Swords that came with the Classic DE, so alongside those I may try some of the various Gillette 7 o'clocks and/or get a sampler pack to see what works for my skin. From what I've read, a mild razor & sharp blade is a good combo, but I have also seen 'Feather' and 'rough as a badger's arse' in the same sentence a few times, so I suppose getting the right amount of sharpness & smoothness together is the holy grail for DE shavers. The razor comparison topic in 'DE Blades' sub forum looks like a great resource but it seems however much you read, one man's fave blade will shred another man's face to shreds so I'll only find out by trying them.

Anyway, I digress. . . I think the only other thing I may do is get a few shaving cream samples from the likes of TOBS and T&H as some of the scents seem interesting! (Oh mother, I can feel the rabbit hole opening under my feet)

So how do you see YOUR shaving year panning out?

I'm not going on a full-on drive for economy this year, but Mervyn Cadman has some new brushes that will be available mid-Jan that I have my eye on. Other than that I think I'm set. I certainly have no plans for more razors and I have enough blades to last me 20 years.

I am good with what i have. I may try a Fatip Piccolo but have been put off by rumours of alignment/quality issues. If a stainless Edwin Jagger comes out I might be tempted but all good here. May try some new soaps but tend to stick with what i have if it's good.

@dave79 beware of those Feathers if new to DE shaving. They are super sharp, not very smooth and will cut you to buggery if your technique is not right. Probably my least favourite blade (though my beard isn't thick)

I have two larger purchases planned firstly the Tatara closed comb razor. I have pre ordered it so fingers crossed in Feb I'll get one. Secondly I am going to have a new 30mm brush made with the Maseto 2 band finest knot and resin and shape to be discussed with the maker but I'm fancying a disco in whatever combo colour I go for or even a two colour scheme with a solid bottom colour and disco top half. No blades, no soaps In fact I'm actively doing my best to get rid of my surplus soaps. I'm probably only going to keep my Stirling, Wickham, Route 66, OSP and MWF the MWF for the dish mainly. All the others are getting the chop until I start reducing what I have which takes bloomin ages to do. Obviously things can change if someone releases a nice SS razor I won't be able to resist it but soaps I will no problem.

I plan on spending less than this year.
I know i will buy at least 5 artisan soaps that i want (Mickey Lee, Wholly Kaw, Caties Bubbles, Stirling and B&M) I also know something unexpected will come up, like a new or a seasonal P&B.
I will be happy if i don't go over 10 soaps :)

I will most definitely buy some blades since i don't stock much usually.

Will try to avoid buying any aftershave since I am pretty stocked.

Possibly one razor and/or one badger brush.

If all this comes true i will be happy.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm planning to buy Pinaud's 3 new aftershaves Whskey woods, gin and the other one, do I need it? No but I like that kind of budget aftershaves, also I should be running out of the Myrsol Antesol towards mid summer so I'm planning to order 1 liter bottle from Gifts and Care and pour it into the classic, iconic Myrsol bottle. It is a wonderful pre-shave and aftershave with a fantastic old-school scent.
Also on Boxing day I ordered a tube of Dettol shaving cream from India that should arrive towards mid January, and also asked a Romanian friend to bring me a tube of Palmolive Cool which is unique to Romania apperantly.

Me too I am pretty set, and me too I hope to stop shop this new year ... even if I know I hardly could! At least, I will try to; in my wishlist I have a Kai Standard Holder jstyle or folding and some artisan USA soap. No more ... hopefully.

I am going to try to not to buy anything at all, I won't say no to any gifts though ;) :p

If I do buy, I have a list of what I would buy next:

Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica soap & post shave
Simpsons Milk Churn or Keyhole in Best Badger
Extro Barocca soap & aftershave
Phoenix and Beau Star Noir

No razors of any sort, had my fingers burned with regards to new razors in 2017. Out of 27 razors I bought this year, I sold 17 of them. Going to get properly acquainted with what I have already and maybe thin the herd a little bit more.

An Above The Tie S1 slant razor
An open comb razor, brand undecided.
My first non-synthetic brush, most likely an Omega Boar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@dave79 best course for sharpness and smoothness combo for a new shaver would be either Astra Super Platinum or Polsilvers. Voshkods buttery smooth but not as sharp. Just tried the Treet Durasharp Carbons as well. They are lovely too but gotta take them out and dry them otherwise they rust.

Back
Top Bottom