What to pick up in the US?

I'm off to the States for a bit and was wondering what shaving gear is worth picking up whilst out there.

I can get gear delivered to where I'm staying so I was planning on getting an ATT head sent, but is there anything else worth looking at that you can only get out there or is much cheaper.

Any thoughts anyone?

I am aware this post might be an expensive mistake!!

I am aware this post might be an expensive mistake!!

Indeed!

Www.maggardrazors.com

Fill your boots and probably the next two hours browsing. There are plenty of reviews either on the site or if not just google the product.

You will save a ton on postage. I suggest buying whatever you think you might like as you should have no problem selling them on the BST on here for exactly what you paid for them.

Soap or aftershave is what I'd go for as the US artisans don't have the licence to sell in Europe and the only way to get them is to take the hit on postage. Most places won't ship alcohol at all.

Brands I would definitely try if you haven't already are as follows:

Barrister & Mann
Chiseled Face
Mickey Lee Soapworks
LA Shaving Soap Co.
Dapper Dragon
Maggards
Strop Shoppe (if any left)
Caties Bubbles
Reef Point
Tims (if any left)
Soap Smooth
Wholly Kaw
Through The Fire Fine Craft

Oh my indeed. Great opportunity to pick up some top top soaps here. Maggards do samples too so if you're there for a while and can fit in two orders you don't have to splash out on full tubs straight away.

In addition I'd check out Cold River Soap Works and Stirling Soaps. Neither are carried by Maggards

Last edited:
Go to a Walgreen's (they are everywhere) store and buy a pack or two of the Gillette Platinum Plus blades that are NOS from Brasil. The same store also sells the manliest of aftershaves: Pinaud Clubman.

Go to a Walgreen's (they are everywhere) store and buy a pack or two of the Gillette Platinum Plus blades that are NOS from Brasil. The same store also sells the manliest of aftershaves: Pinaud Clubman.

Walgreens are excellent! The bigger ones even have a small car accessory section with interesting bits in it, great to wander around whilst the 'mrs' surveys the rest of the emporium...

I'm off to the States for a bit and was wondering what shaving gear is worth picking up whilst out there.

Any thoughts anyone?

Hi there,

What you wanna do is try a shaving soap from The Soap Opera store in Madison, Wisconsin USA. It's called 'Himalaya' with shea butter and soy. The other shaving soaps made by that company aren't the same as this formula. Very cheap, well shipping adds a bit but total is less than $10 a puck around there. Really good product with a nice scent and fun people to deal with. Have some shipped to your US location.

Martin

I can't give specific advice(too many great options), but I echo the idea that you should get the soaps and aftershaves you can't get shipped to you. Razors and blades are easily(though not cheaply) shipped so I wouldn't put my focus there.

Is this the right time to say that I'm off to Washington and New York for 10 days on Thursday and, whilst I'm in New York, I'll be visiting Pasteurs and probably coming back with half a suitcase full of shaving gear :cool:

I may even post up pics when I return of my visit :D

To be frank, 99.99% of DE 'tackle' is sold in the USA through Internet & artisan shops. You are fortunate in being able to visit Pasteur's as it is a 'Mecca' for many having a cornucopia of goodies.

Just be careful my friend, as these two cites especially have a lot of 'goblins' that mainly come out at night. ;)

Back
Top Bottom