What to do ?

My laptop died and I'm left using my nexus 7 which I bought for watching films on when away fishing.

Now I can't decide if I should get another laptop or a larger tablet, tab s 10.5.

At the moment I'm trying to see if I my needs can be met by a tablet, the only thing so far is burning CD's.

Please help me [DIZZY FACE]

Cheers Paul

How old and how dead? I mean is it worth spending a modest amount to get it up and running again say with a SSD and fresh OS if you only use it for burning CD's.

+1 on this.
I'm using a Lenovo X200 with a £60 256GB SSD and a £50 Win8 upgrade.
The missus is using an X201 with just the £60 SSD and the stock Win7.
Cheap fix if you had to...

It pretty simple to save a computer with all the
info available on tut interwebs, and not very expensive.

I just built a media centre PC from scratch (finished today!)
and when I say scratch , before a fortnight ago I'd never opened
the bonnet so to speak.

If your not confident there's a number of young lads
who will sort it for about £20 labour plus parts.

(I got stuck and got a quote but was able to sort it myself)

I went for a larger tablet when I upgraded my laptop last year and it does everything I need - I've only used a BlueTooth keyboard on it twice! I use it for Access/Excel as well as all the usual stuff.
As for CD burning get an external DVDRW drive they're £35 ish for a reasonable one. Plenty of reasonably priced Windows Tablets out there at the moment with the new Atom CPUs.

I agree with the Count.

Samsung do a 12in Android one.

Or go Windows mobile.

Bit of info on the faulty laptop would be good.
We might be able to tell you if it's a write off.

It's an Acer aspire 6350 and about 6 years old. It's been to a local repair shop and if I remember correctly its something to do with the graphics chip which is part of the motherboard, bloke said it would be cost of a new one to fix and wasn't worth it. The diagnosis was free.
Thanks for the help guys, Paul

The fault is I turned it on and no display, some keyboard lights came on as usual, it sounded like it was trying to start and turned off after about 5 seconds and then just kept repeating this cycle til battery removed.

I use a Samsung Chromebook for 99% of the time. Other 1% is a Win7 media PC under the TV and only bought this to run MS Office "whatever" so the kids are using the same apps as school. I can see Chromebooks taking off big time soon, get one before the rush and the price hikes ;)
(When I'm not at home I use my Sony Z2 ;) )

I rarely use my pc now.

Bought myself an android phone with 3gb of ram. Now when I get home I just hook it up to my screen using an MHL cable, bluetooth keyboard and mouse and away I go.

Use it for everything from doing my accounts to browsing youtube and posting on here.

Got a memory card in it so got about 100gb of hard drive. It really is just a tiny desktop.

The phone is much more powerful than the laptop it replaced.

Had to recently replace my really old printer so I made sure it had wireless printing so that was last stumbling block I had with the phone being my pc sorted

Got a desktop which is still going strong but I never switch it on unless I have some video rendering to do, which is very very rare nowadays

My laptop died recently. The repair guys did a reflow on the motherboard for £70 and it fixed the problem - a dry joint on the graphics chip. I put in a new HHD - bigger, faster for £60.

I couldn't be without my laptop and a large screen.

The only reason I still have a laptop is for downloading pics from my camera or any other USB dependant devices. My nexus doesn't cover this.

MPH said:
The only reason I still have a laptop is for downloading pics from my camera or any other USB dependant devices. My nexus doesn't cover this.

I think you get can Wifi enabled SD cards now that will transmit your photos to your tablet device wirelessly. Haven't done it myself, but remember a photographer chappie who used to do it.

jb74 said:
MPH said:

I think you get can Wifi enabled SD cards now that will transmit your photos to your tablet device wirelessly. Haven't done it myself, but remember a photographer chappie who used to do it.
Bloody hell.... That's all getting a little bit "star trek".....

I dont know about the nexus range but a lot of modern androids have otg, which means you can plug a usb stick or powered hard drive into them.

Gt to say plugging the phone into the 22 inch screen is great, no way I could all my work done on a five inch screen

Back
Top Bottom