What manly things did you do today?

No, but I'd wager cheese has been made by more women through history than men. :)View attachment 105191
As for science, I try to keep an open mind. After all...
View attachment 105192

Prof Gina Rippon is an internationally-renowned neuroscientist with a long career in research. "Dr" Eli David (PhD) is an internationally-renowned blowhard who frequently goes off on rants on subjects he's not qualified to criticise, like covid and climate change (as above). He has published several papers himself (in his own field, not on climate) so he really ought to know better. In fact, he probably does know better but cynically hopes we don't.

Technically he's correct: no science is ever settled. Science is a formal process for exploring the unknown and the deeper we go the more we learn - or have to unlearn. Scientists are well aware of this.

When it comes to science there's one simple rule: the limits of reasonable claim re matters of science are defined by the set of published papers which have not yet been refuted. This is why we can always tell who is talking reasonably about science and who is talking ex culo.

If someone wants to challenge an idea they can't just sound off on the internet. New ideas must be presented for publication in the form of a scientific paper with a highly-detailed, technical argument.

In the community, not everyone agrees with Prof Gina Rippon but IMO the potential margins of disagreement are so small as to basically prove her point. Even if it could be shown there are tiny, innate differences in the personality traits or cognitive abilities of men & women it only serves to emphasise how similar we are. The same model of car, one with a couple of extra airbags and one without, is still the same car.

Yes exactly: if there's no such thing as a "male" or "female" mind then you can't have the wrong mind trapped in the wrong body.

But you could be out of step with rigid social stereotypes. If you were a man with with a stereotypically "female" personality, or vice versa, it might feel the same.

Ideally we'd be able to persuade someone with gender dysphoria that they don't need surgery: they can be every bit the person they are in their own body. But that might not be as simple as it seems. It could be very hard to "fit in" anywhere if you're a "girly" man - or an insufficiently "girly" woman. Everywhere you go the same unforgiving prejudices to deal with. You might have to spend a lifetime challenging other people's beliefs. That would be exhausting and perhaps even dangerous at times.

At this point I feel I have to defer to medical professionals who deal with these cases and understand from experience how to achieve the best outcomes. If you are convinced you are "wrong" in some deep, fundamental way than can lead to very high rates of self-harm & suicide.

I'm sorry if I've turned what probably should have been a fun thread all serious :) Manly things I plan to do tomorrow: rebuild a half-rotten shed using tools so sharp and deadly it'll be almost as dangerous as cage-fighting with sharks. I'll walk into the builders merchant and as the warehouse guy notices my paint-stained overalls he'll pause briefly, give me a nod, and I'll nod silently back. Two manly men in the brotherhood of balls.

Huh?
Angry Bruce Banner GIF by Xbox

I prepared my Japanese paraffin wick heater for storage; drained the fuel tank and sump; cleaned the filter; burnt the wick dry; cleaned the mantle; dismantled the heater and liberally sprayed electrical cleaner and silicon lubricant on all electrical and moving parts; polished the metal cabinet and reflector; then re-packaged in its original shipping box ready for next heating season.

Notice the screw driver, rag and cans of lubricant and electrical cleaner!. On the paraffinalia forums the consensus is, that its a 30 minute job, took me 3 hours, oh well, still a job well done.

IMG_1240.jpeg

Last edited:
I prepared my Japanese paraffin wick heater for storage; drained the fuel tank and sump; cleaned the filter; burnt the wick dry; cleaned the mantle; dismantled the heater and liberally sprayed electrical cleaner and silicon lubricant on all electrical and moving parts; polished the metal cabinet and reflector; then re-packaged in its original shipping box ready for next heating season.

Notice the screw driver, rag and cans of lubricant and electrical cleaner!. On the paraffinalia forums the consensus is, that its a 30 minute job, took me 3 hours, oh well, still a job well done.

View attachment 105475
What on earth is that?

Great now I want a Japanese paraffin wick heater!

Also one of those rice cookers they have that just seem to magically have perfect rice ready 24/7 lol

I must confess to not being familiar with those.
Prior to gas CH, many families in the UK, US and Europe supplemented their coal fires / wood burners with paraffin heaters; they were popular from about 1900 right upto the 1960's. The UK manufactured "Aladdin" was a popular heater during this time. In Japan the majority of homes still use paraffin (kerosene) to heat their homes and domestic water and the technology continues to evolve. Japanese homes, in the main, are not insulated and are built to be drafty (cold winters but hot humid summers) they tend to only heat the room they are in and mostly use kerosene heaters. My understanding is they are also still popular in some US states, although happy to be corrected on this, if not the case now.

medium_item_2163364_aa724126ff.jpg

Back
Top Bottom