What is it with creams! / (Soaps!)

I have found that pretty much all creams irritate me in some way. I can use whatever soap i like and my face is calm and peaceful, but get a cream and i can feel a mild burn. Following on the logic that creams are just hydrated soaps, it must be something extra that creates the mild burn.

So far, only Cyril Salter creams pass the test.

Another odd thing. If i use my razors, you can see soap scum on the razor afterward, and even then i have to rub slightly to get it off. I accidentaly dropped my razor in my shaving bowl (full of hot water and washed off cream lather) and the razor came out gleaming! No scrubbing required. So it seems creams clean and soaps scum.

I thought it was interesting anyway! :D

Same here with the creams.

Almond ones (e.g. P160 and Cella) are known irritants or allergenics (or something. Henk knows.)

Other creams do tingle a tad - I think it's the coconut something-or-other in them?

Glad it's not just me though.

I could leave Tabac on all day and no tingle whatsoever.

Same here Rev. Tabac despite being scented I could wear all day too. Yet to try Mama bears scented soaps but doubt i would have a problem.

Its a good job i prefer soaps then anyway!

There was a chap on the SMF forum that had to stop using creams, but was fine with soaps. I know, because I bought his part-used tub of Coate's Sandalwood off him!

There tends to be more ingredients in creams than soaps, so I would think that this in itself increases the chances of some kind of reaction.

Ian

I've found that using any soap or cream day after day without change eventually gives me a little tingle or irritation - the only products that don't are Proraso, Headslick and Gillette Original/Regular foam and I have no idea why. To be utterly honest, I gave up trying to figure out what it was as I knew I was "sensitive" (I think "allergic" would be pushing it) to some fragrances and lanolin and I didn't want to start getting obsessive over ingredients. I still use a small rotation, I just don't go a couple of weeks in a row with anything other than those mentioned above.
I really thought I was subconsciously trying to "justify" having loads of shave stuff, but now most of it has gone, it appears I wasn't talking out of my arse. I think.

FWIW, everything leaves a scum on my razor apart from canned stuff, which appears to clean it, and Headslick, which leaves no residue I can see. I normally just give it a rub up when I change blades.

The only creams that have affected me this way have been the TOBS range, in fact I purchased two more of these last month “Mr Taylor & Almond” thinking that using the T&H Almond and not having any reaction would mean the same for the TOBS, but alas, instant discomfort.

The same with Mr Taylor, which didn’t bother me as I didn’t like the scent, so there’s another two in the swap box. :roll:

Yeah I found that, of all the creams TOBS were the worst for me, along with Castle Forbes Lime!

I tend to keep a small rotation now too, though i must confess i might have let it grow a tad.....

A cream is just a watered-down soap. That does not mean that a cream that you have sitting in your bathroom is the same as that soap sitting next to it. Creams and soaps are usually made by different outfits (some do both, and in such cases the cream may be just a watered-down version of the soap, or it may be slightly altered), and their formulators may choose different formulae and ingredients to tailor their soap or cream to specific requirements. So yes, creams may, on average, contain different ingredients than soaps. However, the fact still remains that from a technological point of view, the only true difference between a (shaving) soap and a (shaving) cream is water content. I.e., to make a soap, you need X water content, and to make a cream, you need Y water content, Y being greater then X.

Back
Top Bottom