What is it? (British architectural monument inside)

I've come across many of these big metallic structures in the suburbs of London and wonder what they are or what is their purpose.
Can somebody enlighten me?

img_2012.jpg

Now that's brought back some memories - one of my Saturday enterprises was collecting coal and coke from the local gas works, for neighbours.

Does that really mean they went out of use after North Sea gas was introduced? I can't believe that's the case otherwise they would have been demolished or sold off years ago.

To my knowledge they are still in use, when they are full you will see the inner membrane, not just the skeletal structure.
I assume they are used as reservoirs for gas supplies and or maybe used to pressurise local gas supply pipework networks.

To my knowledge they are still in use, when they are full you will see the inner membrane, not just the skeletal structure.
I assume they are used as reservoirs for gas supplies and or maybe used to pressurise local gas supply pipework networks.
Yes some are, although they are being phased out. Primarily used to regulate the pressure.

This is a true story that illustrates how times have changed - for the better?

The Gasworks was a couple of roads away from where I lived and was on quite a slope - so it was favourite for riding a scooter and roller scating down the hill. One day a few of us decided to mix things up a bit and tied a steel roller scater to one foot whilst having the other on a scooter. Things went swimmingly until I caught a bit of coak under my roller scate. Those were the days.

Back
Top Bottom