What happens to ProRaso shave repair gel if left abandoned!

20230612_190035.jpg
I decided to check the date on the Tube and it should last with the cap screwed on correctly 12 months.
If it's not then there is a fault somewhere with the product I am guessing.

The link above doesn't work, this one does - I hope:

Amazon says I last purchased this item in January 2017 for £4.39. No need to re-order since.
I'm getting quite good at this shaving thing I guess :cool:
Is it worth £1.60? I'm not sure.
Maybe I'd venture into straight razor shaving again if I had one on standby.
Having one available for the worst case sounds like a good idea, but it probably would be single use.
If you are new to this whole shaving malarkey... go for it. The stuff works.

View attachment 107332
I decided to check the date on the Tube and it should last with the cap screwed on correctly 12 months.
If it's not then there is a fault somewhere with the product I am guessing.
The problem is (or not, actually) that I don't slice myself more than once every year or two.
So the gel is single-use. A box of plasters lasts longer, although a plaster on the bottom of my nose does look embarrassing.

The Proraso Gel is almost perfect. It stops bleeding more efficiently than any other product.
The problem is that once opened it dries, clogs and deteriorates.
I stopped buying it because it's great if you do something stupid, but then a year later you do it again you can't get any out of the tube.
So you have to cut open the tube (remember, you're bleeding badly - no other choice) and then you can throw the tube away.
Too expensive in the long run. Pity. Because it actually works.
I have since learned not to slice into the bottom of my nose or other really bleedy bits.

Similar experiences here. Works on cuts that a styptic pencil struggles with, but as you say it dries out, despite the cap being firmly reapplied after use.

The problem is (or not, actually) that I don't slice myself more than once every year or two.
So the gel is single-use. A box of plasters lasts longer, although a plaster on the bottom of my nose does look embarrassing.

The whole, clumsy, family use ours for everything: shaving (rarely), spors, cuts, burns etc etc..

Similar experiences here. Works on cuts that a styptic pencil struggles with, but as you say it dries out, despite the cap being firmly reapplied after use.
There is a way to avoid or delay the drying out. I use this method with superglue and araldite. When you put the cap on, make sure to exclude all the air from the tube. It can't dry if there is no space to dry into. I've had araldite going for over 10 years, but not that long for superglue.

I could have done with some of this gel just now.
Not dried up, of course.
A bit of alum block and a little fragment of toilet paper should do the job
If you're lucky enough to have Comfrey growing in your garden then you won't need styptic or gel.
Loads of it grows around rivers here in Cardiff. It's a protected plant, but I dug one up and took it home. The seeds are cheap enough.
You take a leaf and scrunch it up to get the juice. Apply it into the cut and it immediately closes just as if you had used superglue.
Superglue was used in the Vietnam War by US doctors, but Comfrey is natural and safer. and can be put in a deep cut - superglue was put on the surface only since it is toxic.
The old name for Comfrey was Knitbone.
This is not a joke.

Around here seagulls are a protected species, but pigeons are not. Stupid law, because we have more seagulls than pigeons ever since the fish in our waters were depleted. They hang around chip shops waiting for scraps. I'm only a half mile from the sea.
You can buy a packet of Comfrey seeds for £1.

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/comfrey-its-history-uses-benefits/

Uses of comfrey​

Medicinal – Comfrey has been cultivated as a healing herb since at least 400BC. The Greeks and Romans commonly used comfrey to stop heavy bleeding, treat bronchial problems and heal wounds and broken bones.

Poultices were made for external wounds and tea was consumed for internal ailments. Comfrey has been reported to promote healthy skin with its mucilage content that moisturizes and soothes and promotes cell proliferation.

This plant is my first port of call if ever I need to dress a wound. Simply take a few leaves brush them together to remove the hairs and wrap them around the wound and apply light pressure. It’s incredibly effective at stopping the bleeding, reducing the pain and healing the wound.

One of the reasons I dipped out of this forum was it's total unreliability for me to receive 'notifications' of updated threads. the last email I got was the 11th June, and this thread has been hopping ever since LOL Oh well, see you all in another few years... :p

One of the reasons I dipped out of this forum was it's total unreliability for me to receive 'notifications' of updated threads. the last email I got was the 11th June, and this thread has been hopping ever since LOL Oh well, see you all in another few years... :p
People actually want emails about replies? Wow, who knew?

Back
Top Bottom