What do you pay for a haircut ?

What is the cost of your haircut (before any tip)

• Free - cut or shave it myself

Votes: 25 32.9%
  • Free - the missus, a friend or relative does it

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Under £5

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • £5 - £5.99

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • £6 to £7.99

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • £8 - £9.99

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • £10 - £11.99

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • £12 - £14.99

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • £15 - £19.99

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • £20 - £29.99

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • £30 - £49.99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £50 +

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
PhilD said:
Well got to say I think places charging more than £6 for a dry cut are having a tin bath at our expense. Does anyone know offhand what a skilled trade like a chippy or plasterer charges per hour for comparison?

As for tips, they should have gone out the window when the guaranteed minimum wage came in. Anyone making £20+ per hour doesn't need any tax-free on the side. But as with taxis and restaurants, we've been conditioned to feel guilty if we don't.

Interesting US fed min wage 7.25$ hr.
Tipped employees 5.12$ hr. $ not £.
Most fast food places make employees managers or asst managers so they don't have to pay overtime. Great place(;-(

Ive been #1'ing myself since my early 20's* and was about to buy
the wahl balding clippers a few months back,
when I thought to myself it would be good to grow
my hair out and find out exactly how bald I had become.

Turns out its not as bad as I'd always thought :icon_razz:

Its no Fro, but its still a novelty to walk into a barbers and say
"short back and sides, leave it a bit longer on the top please"

* I blame that geezer off D:ream. not Prof Brian Cox, the other one.

Johnus said:
PhilD said:
Well got to say I think places charging more than £6 for a dry cut are having a tin bath at our expense. Does anyone know offhand what a skilled trade like a chippy or plasterer charges per hour for comparison?

As for tips, they should have gone out the window when the guaranteed minimum wage came in. Anyone making £20+ per hour doesn't need any tax-free on the side. But as with taxis and restaurants, we've been conditioned to feel guilty if we don't.

Most fast food places make employees managers or asst managers so they don't have to pay overtime. Great place(;-(

I understand the tipped workers are taxed as if they always receive a
% tip.
Ive been reading some horror stories about people serving large groups,
not receiving a tip and realizing that they had actually paid to serve the customers.

Johnus said:

That's pretty low, I suppose that's why (or because?) tipping culture is strong in the 'States? Here minimum is $10.70 / hour for all over 21s.

gazza said:
I understand the tipped workers are taxed as if they always receive a
% tip.
Ive been reading some horror stories about people serving large groups,
not receiving a tip and realizing that they had actually paid to serve the customers.

That's astonishing... :icon_eek:

I've bought my lads up to always tip barbers (along with others).

Fair dues, they are an unknown quantity on your first visit but if you don't tip and then turn up a few weeks later you are in serious danger of getting the shittest haircut since Donald Trump.

^ ha, fair point.

gazza said:
If you want more horror stories about working
in US catering try "Sundays are the worst" website.

Looks like the site is down - libel suits in progress no doubt. I think our own zero-hours contracts and commission-only telesales jobs are exploitative too. Hope Ed Miliband gets em banned.

PhilD said:
^ ha, fair point.

gazza said:
If you want more horror stories about working
in US catering try "Sundays are the worst" website.

Looks like the site is down - libel suits in progress no doubt. I think our own zero-hours contracts and commission-only telesales jobs are exploitative too. Hope Ed Miliband gets em banned.

http://sundaysaretheworst.com/stories/

is still up.

Bu... bu... bu... *free market economy* dude!

joe mcclaine said:
Fair dues, they are an unknown quantity on your first visit but if you don't tip and then turn up a few weeks later you are in serious danger of getting the shittest haircut since Donald Trump.

Looks like somebody forgot to leave a tip...

article_img.jpg

SWMBO cuts my hair with some Wahl clippers that she bought as a Christmas present for me, about 23 years ago.

Both the clippers and SWMBO are still going strong!

She does use scissors as well, and there have been one or two "whoops" moments.

I always leave a good tip for her.

The last one was " Never slam a revolving door "

Steve.

Wahl clippers, number one every 3 weeks or so. I buy a new set for about 25 pounds every 2 years, they get blunt and become slower to cut hair otherwise. I'm surprised there are so many longer serving sets of clippers out there.

Greetings

I shave my head every third or fourth day, I used to use Wahl clippers on the lowest setting without the plastic comb attachments. When, many years ago my clippers burnt out part way through a 'shearing' I was obliged to start again with a razor or look a complete idiot.

I have never bought another pair of clippers and have carried on with the razor ever since.

I have had no appreciable hair that would warrant a 'proper' haircut since my early thirties and I am now in my mid sixties.

Regards
Dick.

I had a set of those ceramic bladed clippers which allegedly don't need any oiling. Never found out if that was true because I dropped them and the blades shattered.

I voted free, simply because, and I'm guessing I'm in a minority of 1 here I don't bother with haircuts, I just let it grow. When I was working the business I was in this didn't matter at all and particularly whilst away from home for months at a time all I ever needed to do was shower, wash hair get dried and tie my hair back, no messing around with styling products or worrying about it being too long. I did have it all cut off a couple of years back when I thought some medical treatment may have made it all fall out, but have grown it back now. After so long with long hair I still prefer it, until the day I start to go bald and then it's all coming off, but at 47 with only a little receding at the hairline I think I'm doing ok, although the grey has crept in since I was ill.

Back
Top Bottom