What DE razor to get?

I vote vintage every time 20 - 30 quid will get you a lovely flair tip in nice condition or even an Aristocrat if you are lucky. The added fun of the hunt is a bonus too.

Helveticum said:
Johnus said:
Martin! Do you think he was talking about a '04??? A convert! Thank god I have just about as many as I can ever possibly use in one life time!

My recommendation would be an adjustable razor. A Merkur or a early Gillette 1965/66. Best of all worlds, mild, moderate, and close. Also easy to sell or trade if he's not happy with it.

If you're referring to the Old Type - in fact yes! I have one left from my great grand dad, and I used it consequently after EJ - whatta difference! Nice smooth shaves, whereas I always had a razor burn with EJ. Anyway, I've been looking for one to replace it - purely for the sentimental value (that one is in a bad shape - bent teeth etc, still shaved better than the Jagger though), so if you've got one for sale, let me know ;) US model, not the ball end.

This one:
z_048b57d3.jpg

One of the cleanest, gentlest shaves I get is from a 1918, Gillette '04. 2passes: 1WTG & 1ATG. A true BBS. They're great razors!
(have an '05 too, my father's Birth Year)

If you starting DE shaving for the very first time, try the Boots double edge razor. It's only £3.89 or thereabouts, with 5 razor blades. Then with the money saved, which would otherwise go on 4 or 5 blade cartridges (at £9 for 4), you could then get an Edwin Jagger, or Merkur razor. Edwin Jagger razors start from £21 upwards to £70, and occasionally have some good 'bargain basement' razors which might have slight flaws (usually in the logo printing) or could be old stock.

Back
Top Bottom